10 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2003 11:45 AM by yoyodyne

Ports used by JBoss?

Hi everyone,

I want to know

1. list of servies and
      2. the ports used by these services

when I launch JBoss with the "all" option.

(Like HTTP Service running at port 8080, and Naming Service runnning at port 1099 etc)

If I launch JBoss from one dos window (run.bat -c all) and shutdown from another dos window (shutdown.bat) , it displays the message-

Shutting down server localhost:8080
      Shutdown complete

which tells me that only the HTTP service was shut down and not the complete JBoss server. Is the correct way to shut down the JBoss server "CTRL - C"?

Is there a good way to know how much of JBoss is running at a good point of time?

I am using JBoss 3.0.6 without Tomcat

Thanks in advance for all and any help.

RD.

• 1. Re: Ports used by JBoss?
          yoyodyne

The complete JBoss server gets shutdown when u run shutdown.bat.

• 2. Re: Ports used by JBoss?

Hello people,
            can someone provide me the requested info? All the ports used by JBoss on startup along with the name of the services using them?
            About the shutdown.bat, when I launch JBoss from one window (run.bat -c all) and then run shutdown.bat from another window, I dont see the port 1099 getting freed. This tells me that not everything started by JBoss gets shut down with shutdown.bat
            RD

• 3. Re: Ports used by JBoss?

Hello people,
              can someone provide me the requested info? All the ports used by JBoss on startup along with the name of the services using them?
              About the shutdown.bat, when I launch JBoss from one window (run.bat -c all) and then run shutdown.bat from another window, I dont see the port 1099 getting freed. This tells me that not everything started by JBoss gets shut down with shutdown.bat
              RD

• 4. Re: Ports used by JBoss?

Hello people,
                RD

• 5. Re: Ports used by JBoss?

Hello people,
                  RD

• 6. Re: Ports used by JBoss?
                    mikefinn

Are you sure that JBoss JNDI came up ok on port 1099? Make sure. I have seen other things on Windows take 1099 and the JNDI service puke on startup (rest of the server comes up ok, but won't be very happy about it); but I have never seen a JBoss port still be listening after the server shutdown (except for the short time until the listener socket times out). All server threads should be shutdown by shutdown.bat. What state was the listener socket in?

Here are the TCP-based listeners in 3.x, the MBean name, and respective default port. Note: there are UDP ports used by JavaGroups in the clustering stuff as well.

RMI CL WebServer (jboss:service=WebService): 8083
                    JNDI (jboss:service=Naming): 1099
                    RMI (jboss:service=invoker,type=jrmp): 4444
                    HSQL (jboss:service=Hypersonic): 1476
                    OIL (jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=OIL):
                    OIL2 (jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=OIL): 8092
                    UIL: (jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL): 8091
                    UIL2: (jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL2): 8093
                    Jetty/Tomcat (jboss.web:service=WebServer): 8080
                    HAJNDI (jboss:service=HAJNDI): 1100

mike

• 7. Re: Ports used by JBoss?
                      mikefinn

Note these are 3.2 MBean names. 3.0 will be slightly different.

• 8. Re: Ports used by JBoss?

Thanks for the info. I am using JBoss 3.0.6 (without Tomcat) and found all but 8092 and 8093 ports being used.
                        About shutdown.bat, I did check again and again that 1099 is NOT being freed after I run shutdown.bat. And its NOT being used before I started JBoss. Please confirm that u r running run.bat and shutdown.bat from 2 different command line windows. There is no other option anyway since the command line window from which I launch "run.bat -c all" is blocked and I cannot run shutdown.bat from the same window. I am on windows NT. shutdown.bat reports "shutting down http service at 8080" and that exactly (and only thing) that it does.
                        CTRL-C on the original command line window does stop everything.
                        Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Ports used by JBoss?

Hello,

People who are referring to this thread, I just noticed some other thread addressing my concern about shutdown.bat not working as expected with JBoss.

Shutdown.bat if run as

C:\JBOSS_HOME\bin\shutdown.bat

does not shutdown the jboss completely.

Use

C:\JBOSS_HOME\bin\shutdown.bat -u foo -p bar

where foo and bar are username/password for secured jmx console, which, if not secured, means "foo" and "bar" username/password should work as they are.

This results in complete proper shutdown and the original window from where JBoss is launched reports

Halting VM......

to ur immense satisfaction!
                          Cheers
                          RD

• 10. Re: Ports used by JBoss?
                            yoyodyne

let me tell u in advance that if u plan to move to jboss-3.2.0, u wud have to do
                            shutdown -s hostname