1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2004 9:21 PM by jpowell92127

Web Context Problem when upgrading

jpowell92127

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade an old JBoss 3.0.4 application to 3.2.5. Unfortunately, it appears that the integrated Tomcat 5.0 throws the following exception, probably because we are running old stuff (Jsp 1.1, Struts 1.0):

java.lang.NullPointerException
      org.apache.jasper.runtime.TagHandlerPool.get(TagHandlerPool.java:108)
      org.apache.jsp.begin_jsp._jspx_meth_template_insert_0(begin_jsp.java:97)
      org.apache.jsp.begin_jsp._jspService(begin_jsp.java:80)
      org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
      javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)

If I back the Tomcat webserver up a version to 4.1 the problem goes away, but the application then has trouble recognizing the correct web root context when switching between web applications. If it is given a URL such as

http://localhost:8080/app1/begin.jsp

it goes into the wrong app (say app2), but does render begin.jsp correctly in app2. On startup, you can see the requisite application contexts being mapped per the Jetty console output. No matter how I try to change/add configuration files (such as adding jboss-web.xml, setting property

<context-root>/app2</context-root>

it seems to make no difference. I do have the applications in war files in the /deploy directory, such as

($jboss_home_dir)/server/default/deploy

app1.war
      app2.war
      app3.war

Any help (or pointer to the relevant documentation) would be greatly appreciated. Recognize that I'm somewhat of a newbie, in case this problem has an obvious solution.

Thanks!

Jon

• 1. Re: Web Context Problem when upgrading
          jpowell92127

All,

Looking back over some prior posts on this forum I found an answer that works with Tomcat 4.1 (not 5.0). Setting "UseJBossWebLoader" = false in the Tomcat sar jboss-service.xml makes everything work! I have a feeling that I'll have to upgrade Struts to work with Tomcat 5.0 (per their specifications).

Maybe this issue will help someone else.

Regards,

Jon