4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2006 12:51 PM by Steve Tee

Fresh install throws startup error

Steve Tee Newbie

Hi,

Installed JB 4.0.4 GA from scratch with JDK version is 1.5.0 (09) on XP. Running startup script throws the following exception:

ObjectName: jboss:service=Naming
      State: FAILED
      Reason: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jboss/remoting/serialization/impl/java/JavaSerializationManager
      I Depend On:
      jboss.system:service=ThreadPool
      Depends On Me:
      jboss:service=CorbaORB
      jboss:service=invoker,type=iiop
      jboss:service=CorbaNaming
      jboss.mq:service=DestinationManager
      jboss.mq:service=Invoker
      jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL
      jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UILXA
      jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL2,alias=UIL2ConnectionFactory jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL2XA,alias=UIL2XAConnectionFactory
      jboss.jms:alias=QueueConnectionFactory
      jboss.jms:alias=TopicConnectionFactory
      jboss:service=TransactionManager

Any pointers would be appreciated...

Steve

• 1. Re:  Fresh install throws startup error
          Peter Johnson Master

This class is located in the jboss-remoting.jar file, which should be in server/default/lib.

How did you install JBoss? Via the installer jar file, or download and unzip the zip file?

• 2. Re:  Fresh install throws startup error
            Steve Tee Newbie

I downloaded the installer zip file and unzipped into a local directory ( c:\app\jboss404).

I checked for jboss-remoting.jar and it is not located in the specified directory. There is a version of the jar in c:\app\jboss404\client however. Perhaps I have selected incorrect options during the install process.

Should I reinstall from scratch and specify some paticular option or can I copy the jar from /client to /server/default/lib.

Steve

• 3. Re:  Fresh install throws startup error
              Peter Johnson Master

I once again downloaded the jboss-4.0.4.GA.zip file from the download site, and looked at and it contains the jboss-remoting.jar file in the server/all/lib and server/default/lib directories.

Should I reinstall from scratch and specify some paticular option or can I copy the jar from /client to /server/default/lib.

Uh, there are no installation options available when unzipping a zip file.

• 4. Re:  Fresh install throws startup error
                Steve Tee Newbie

Mea Culpa.I had initially downloaded jboss-4.0.4.GA.zip and unzipped it into place before I saw the "patch1" label on the binary version. I deleted the install, downloaded jboss-4.0.4.GA-Patch1-installer.jar and ran the installer to completion. Only the zip version is left on my box hence the error.

The installer options I refer to are listed in InstallerSummary.html in the root directory.

I've uninstalled the offending copy and reinstalled again using the installer jar. I now have a jar file called in jboss-remoting-int.jar in server/default/lib.

The server boots without error and I can connect to the console. My install options were on both occasions : default, no isolation/call-by-value, full security on JMX/Web interfaces.

Thanks for the finger...