1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2008 6:12 PM by waclaw,adamczewski

Log4JLogger' cannot be found or is not useable

woohoo

hi all,
      I have a completely new installation of jboss-4.2.0.GA.
      when starting it for the first time, I got the following exception (more than once):

"org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: User-specified log class 'org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger' cannot be found or is not useable."

when googling for this phrase I get between 7 and 50 (!) hits (read: as good as nothing...so it doesn't seem to be a common problem), depending on whether I search for the exact phrase or not - and none of these proved helpful.
      well, one seemed promising: it's from the jakarta-commons wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions, the last one at the bottom).
      following this, I verified that the Log4J.class in commons-logging.jar has an overloaded constructor with a String argument (not only the default one, which apparently yields problems). and yes, it does. I mean, no wonder, I did not change *anything*, the install is completely fresh.... any ideas?

BTW, I do NOT receive this exception with an older jboss-4.0.4.CR2 installation....
      OS is Debian Linux (kubuntu).