3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2009 2:10 PM by jaikiran pai

    Several applications running in the same instance

    chkiron chronos Newbie

      Hello!

      One of my current taks is suggesting the best scenario for my customer's JBoss infra-structure.

      My company is building 3 different applications (3 .WARs). Today, they use the same libs version (spring, hibernate, rich-faces, etc).

      My client' IT staff wants to put these 3 applications and any others they have or are building in the same JBoss instance.

      I am trying to change this, but I am lacking arguments.

      So, I am looking for sources (documents, articles, blogs, etc) that can help me in developing a deeper understanding of this scenario. I need to know the pros and cons of this approach as well as suggest alternative ones.

      Finally, my question: does anyone here know where can I find this kind of information? I am googling since yesterday to no avail.

      Kind regards,
      Thanks in advance

      Chkiron

      PS: I searched JBoss forum trying to figure where ask this question - i hope I got it right. If I am wrong, could you please tell me where to post this question? It is really important to me, but I am having troubles in finding a good source for this specific question.

        • 1. Re: Several applications running in the same instance
          jaikiran pai Master

           

          "chkiron" wrote:



          My company is building 3 different applications (3 .WARs). Today, they use the same libs version (spring, hibernate, rich-faces, etc).

          My client' IT staff wants to put these 3 applications and any others they have or are building in the same JBoss instance.

          I am trying to change this, but I am lacking arguments.




          I don't see anything wrong in hosting all those 3 apps on the same server instance. As long as you have ensured proper classloader isolation (so that each app uses its own version of the libraries that's packaged within the app), i think there shouldn't be any issues. Here's some wiki links for classloader related details:

          http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/JbossClassLoadingUseCases

          http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/classloadingconfiguration

          • 2. Re: Several applications running in the same instance
            chkiron chronos Newbie

            Hi, Jaikiran!
            Thank you for your answer!


            "jaikiran" wrote:

            I don't see anything wrong in hosting all those 3 apps on the same server instance.


            I had some troubles with this scenario before. Let's say appl A and appl B both use the same version of library X and are running in the production server. A project later and the library X's version in appl B is completely updated. In this case, I had several problems of class colision in the server and had to use the same X version in both applications.

            "jaikiran" wrote:
            As long as you have ensured proper classloader isolation (so that each app uses its own version of the libraries that's packaged within the app), i think there shouldn't be any issues.


            I will study the links you provided, thank you!

            • 3. Re: Several applications running in the same instance
              jaikiran pai Master

               

              "chkiron" wrote:


              I had some troubles with this scenario before. Let's say appl A and appl B both use the same version of library X and are running in the production server. A project later and the library X's version in appl B is completely updated. In this case, I had several problems of class colision in the server and had to use the same X version in both applications.


              That's exactly what the classloader scoping (the links in my previous reply) will solve.