4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2003 11:24 AM by buckman1

2 clustered jboss don't see each other.

mikebaroukh

Hi all.

[I already posted this message on 'configuration' topic. My mystake. Sorry ...]

I took a jboss 3.2.1 out of the box and run the 'all' version on 2 machines. My problem is that they don't see each other.

I used javagroups test appli and saw that my machines are well configured for multicast (I can see messages typed on the sender to the receiver ...).

Once a time, it works with v3.0.4. But now, i can't figure out why it doesn't work, with both 3.0.4 and 3.2.1.

Has anybody any idea of what I'm missing ?

Thanks a lot for any help !

Mike

PS1:
      I tried to specify partition adress in cluster-service.xml but I'm not sure it was used. btw, it don't work any more.

PS2: extract from server.log ...

12:32:39,808 INFO [ClusterPartition] Starting channel
      12:32:39,846 INFO [DefaultPartition] Number of cluster members: 1
      12:32:39,847 INFO [DefaultPartition] Other members: 0
      12:32:39,866 INFO [ClusterPartition] Started ClusterPartition: DefaultPartition
      12:32:39,867 INFO [ClusterPartition] Started
      12:32:39,868 INFO [HASessionStateService] Starting
      12:32:39,868 INFO [HASessionStateService] Started
      12:32:39,869 INFO [HANamingService] Starting
      12:32:39,983 INFO [HANamingService] Listening on 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:1100
      12:32:39,994 INFO [HANamingService$AutomaticDiscovery] Listening on /0.0.0.0:1102, group=230.0.0.4
      12:32:39,995 INFO [HANamingService] Started
      12:32:39,996 INFO [JGCacheInvalidationBridge] Starting
      12:32:40,087 INFO [InvalidationManager] Subscribing a new cache-invalidation bridge
      12:32:40,093 INFO [JGCacheInvalidationBridge] Started
      12:32:40,095 INFO [JRMPInvokerHA] Starting
      12:32:40,126 INFO [JRMPInvokerHA] Started

• 1. Re: 2 clustered jboss don't see each other.
          slaboure

if you are running on redhat/linux, make sure you don't have iptablesor ipchains running

• 2. Re: 2 clustered jboss don't see each other.
            buckman1

On thing I found out that I missed on redhat was making sure it had the domain information correct. When I installed RH9, I didn't specify a domain, so it only showed localhost. Even though both could multi-cast through the JavaGroups software, clustering wouldn't work.

Two files I modified were /etc/hosts and added:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx jbosstest.ourdomain.com jbosstest

and I also modified /etc/sysconfig/network

I added HOSTNAME=jbosstest.ourdomain.com

Once I did that, it worked. I am having other issues right now, with deploying our app, but I am at least able to see both a linux and a windows machine as two nodes and they are both in the same cluster.

Sasha, do you guys plan on updating the docs for 3.2.1 at all? I came across an article from July of last year with you and Bill, and it was pretty good. Sadly, when I follow it I am still not seeing the results.

• 3. Re: 2 clustered jboss don't see each other.
              slaboure

Hello Kevin,

I think the documentation is pretty up-to-date for both 3.0 and 3.2, what do you think may be missing?

Cheers,

sacha

• 4. Re: 2 clustered jboss don't see each other.
                buckman1

Oh, you don't want to know. ;) It would be good if there were some docs on how to test and load test against a cluster, no doubt, although that may not fall into the realm of docs.

My best guess would be for you guys to either test it against various configurations, or have some of us report back to you on what we find, and compile that into a more up to date version. For example, this one doc I found on setting up linux and redhat left out the issue of domain and host name. That caused me some problems before I finally got some info from you and others here. That isn't your doc, of course, but something along those lines would be helpful coming right from the source.

Also, more detail on client connections to the ejb server directly, including info on load balancing, session replication via load balancing, etc. The docs are very informative on how things work. What they lack in my opinion is more detailed examples for the newbie user trying to get things rolling. Of course, clustering isn't usually for the faint of heart, but a bit more detail regarding some of the lesser used options might make for good additions.