1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2007 9:59 PM by brian.stansberry

RFI: Minimal JBoss webapp cluster config

alpheratz-jb

I am developing a pure web application (no ejb/jms, etc.) using spring 2.0.1/spring webflow 1.0.1beta.

I want this to run across a two-node JBoss cluster (not Tomcat...I SUSPECT that future iterations of the app WILL need EJB3 and I don't want to have to tell management to move platforms when the time comes [they won't care about moving between configs, but moving between servers...scary {go figure}]).

The question is: how to configure a minimum usable JBoss for web clustering. By usable, I guess I mean that I still want farming support, JMX/web console but I'm not interested in JMS/EJB2/EMAIL/Quartz, etc.

I am sure that this is a FAQ (I have seen http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossASTuningSliming) but I am hoping for some specific pointers. Going through that list by hand seems to be asking for trouble or at least asking for MANY trial/fail iterations.

Anybody out there been down this path?

Cheers,

Alph

• 1. Re: RFI: Minimal JBoss webapp cluster config
          brian.stansberry

When I test http session replication, I want a stripped down clustered web server. I start with the 'all' config and remove everything but:

jboss-aop.deployer
          jbossweb-tomcat55.sar
          jmx-invoker-service.xml
          tc5-cluster.sar

You want the consoles and farming, so add

cluster-service.xml
          deploy.last
          jmx-console.war
          management

There's stuff you can remove from cluster-service.xml if all you want is farming -- basically you just need the first mbean -- the ClusterPartition.

You probably want to talk to a database; some of these may not be needed for your config, but try

jboss-ha-local-jdbc.rar
          jboss-ha-local-xa-jdbc.rar
          jbossjca-service.xml
          jboss-local-jdbc.rar
          jboss-xa-jdbc.rar

and a -ds.xml for your datasource.