6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2002 6:18 AM by mancinel

Thesis topic ideas

tobyhede

Greetings earthlings,
      Due to my repressed sado-masochistic tendencies I have committed to doing a PhD next year. I would love the input of any of our resident J2EE geniuses regarding possible research topics. Ideally I would love to do something useful around JBoss and J2EE as this is what I know and love.

So far I have been concentrating on persistence and EJB, I am also interested in scalability, having done some work in the past in that regard. I have been thinking of doing something with EntityBeans and SOAP...like remote persistence via SOAP, viewing the persistence layer as a webservice. Slow, insecure, and mostly pointless.

• 1. Re: Thesis topic ideas
          marc.fleury

I think it is a wonderful PhD thesis topic, the persistence framework under RPC are still hotly debated (EJB2.0) and this is really a topic that deserves some research approach.

I will gladly help

marcf

• 2. Re: Thesis topic ideas
            michel1

How about using aspect orientation to implement (parts of) JBoss? Is it possible to use better (more transparant, faster, more efficient) patterns using aspect orientation?

At Xerox Parc, a tool called AspectJ (www.aspectj.org) is being developed. 1.0.1 release is out, it is stable, and integrates well into Java.

• 3. Re: Thesis topic ideas
              tobyhede

I was looking at AspectJ recently as a matter of fact...a very interesting concept, and it is particularly compelling for things like Security in JBoss.

• 4. Re: Thesis topic ideas
                tobyhede

Thanks marc. Hopefully see you in Sydney and buy you a beer ;)...

• 5. Re: Thesis topic ideas
                  cincaipatron

Hi all,

this kind of concept is interesting, however, one thing confusing me
                  is that if you implement your research on open-source project, then what about
                  the copyright, the "owner", cause as I understand, master or Ph.D. research
                  belong to university, but software have their own copyright/license too, don't they?

Verdi

• 6. Re: Thesis topic ideas
                    mancinel

Great!

I've started doing the PhD just... one week ago! :))))
                    A PhD based on J2EE is really interesting.

I've graduated with a J2EE thesis which talked about Active Objects in J2EE, that is, how to combine threaded-live objects with the EJB framework.

It could be interesting to continue exploring the J2EE architecture having in mind a PhD thesis.

I'll definitely watch this topic! :)

Bye,
                    Fabio