5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2004 6:32 AM by dehyb

Pooling Socket Connections

hendrik_sticher

Hi,

i am trying to pool socket connections to an external EIS.
      The communication between that EIS and our Business logic should happen via an JCA Connector. I wonder where the physical connection gets established. Is it so easy that i just implement those JCA interfaces and its done or do i really have to establish the java.net.Socket connection myself?
      At the moment i am at Design sepcification for that and can't find information about JBOSS, JCA and socket connection pooling.
      Someone there to help me?

Thanks

Hendrik

• 1. Re: Pooling Socket Connections
          davidjencks

Useful info on jca adapters is hard to come by. The spec is the best but hard to understand. The sun connector book is equally hard to understand but less complete. I recommend looking at the jboss adapters (connector/src/main/org/jboss/resource/adapter) and the firebird driver (firebird project on sourceforge, in cvs client-java). Theres' also a partial adapter to JINI I wrote in the jboss patch tracker.

Normally you create the physical connection in the constructor of your ManagedConnection implementation, and close it in the destroy method. The pooling is all handled by the ConnectionManager in the app server, so you don't have to do it.

The indirection in the firebird driver is due to trying to support xa on top of 2pc and should not normally be necessary.

Ask if you have more questions.

• 2. Re: Pooling Socket Connections
            hendrik_sticher

Hi David,

thanks for your information. I managed that myself and already deployed a rar to the JBoss.

The last open question to me is where the jndi name
            for my Connector gets declared and where the properties
            for the pooling are set. (how many socket connections are pooled etc..)

Is it something in ./server/default/conf/jboss-service.xml?

or something to add to ./server/default/deploy/..xml?

Or does jboss itself set the jndi name due to the Display Name in the rar's ra.xml?

The configuration of the JBoss is maybe the hardest topic due to its modularity and flexibility.

best regards

hendrik

• 3. Re: Pooling Socket Connections
              davidjencks

You use an mbean configuration file with 3 mbeans in it. There are many examples in connector/src/etc/example-config or somewhere in docs of a binary download. This file format is unfortunately considerably more complicated than the amount of information in it strictly warrants, so ask if the contents are not clear. You might want to look at the firebird-service.xml file since that is a native jca adapter.

• 4. Re: Pooling Socket Connections
                dehyb

"hendrik_sticher" wrote:

I am trying to pool socket connections to an external EIS.
                The communication between that EIS and our Business logic should happen via an JCA Connector. Hendrik

I need resolved the equals problems, do you now the any document or example?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Pooling Socket Connections
                  dehyb

"davidjencks" wrote:

I recommend looking at the jboss adapters (connector/src/main/org/jboss/resource/adapter) and the firebird driver

The FiereBird is a datasource, i need the -ds.xml for the create pool?¿?

"davidjencks" wrote:

Normally you create the physical connection in the constructor of your ManagedConnection implementation, and close it in the destroy method. The pooling is all handled by the ConnectionManager in the app server, so you don't have to do it.

Why?¿?

0_0

Thanks.