1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2002 3:51 PM by davidjencks

JBoss JCA Architecture

rnaithani

I have recently downloaded JBoss 3.0 and purchased the docs from flashline.com and want to verify some points regarding the way JCA modules are deployed in JBoss:

1) Is there no JBoss specific DD required to be bundled with the .rar file?

2)I built the examples chapter 7 and found that the
      notxfs-service.xml file was copied by ant to the deploy directory. Is this file doing anything beyond registering the various properties (connection, security, JNDI name of resource)? Normally I see this part of the rar file in case of other app servers, why did the creators of JBoss chose to package it outside the rar file?

3) I see no Doctype attached to notxfs-service.xml. Can someone please explain me the reason behind this.

Thanks in advance,
      Rahul.

• 1. Re: JBoss JCA Architecture
          davidjencks

> I have recently downloaded JBoss 3.0 and purchased
          > the docs from flashline.com and want to verify some
          > points regarding the way JCA modules are deployed in
          > JBoss:
          >
          > 1) Is there no JBoss specific DD required to be
          > bundled with the .rar file?

correct
          >
          > 2)I built the examples chapter 7 and found that the
          > notxfs-service.xml file was copied by ant to the
          > deploy directory. Is this file doing anything beyond
          > registering the various properties (connection,
          > security, JNDI name of resource)? Normally I see this
          > part of the rar file in case of other app servers,
          > why did the creators of JBoss chose to package it
          > outside the rar file?

When deployed, it creates the mbeans needed to manage a ManagedConnectionFactory instance, with configuration. You can include these mbean configuration in any *-service.xml file. I assumed the usual case would be to use a .rar from a third party, and didn't see the point in making you modify it in order to deploy in jboss. If you think this is highly desirable please explain why, it would be easy enough to implement.

Note that you can also include other mbeans in such a *-service.xml file. For example, the hsqldb-service.xml includes an mbean to start and stop the hsqldb database embedded, and the firebird-service.xml includes an mbean that lets you create and drop firebird databases.

>
          > 3) I see no Doctype attached to notxfs-service.xml.
          > Can someone please explain me the reason behind
          > this.

The *-service.xml files are all jboss mbean configuration files. There is no dtd possible for them at the moment since one of the possible attribute types is an arbitrary xml element. I believe this could be sidestepped by using a schema and namespaces, but no one has looked at this very hard.

>
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Rahul.