2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2003 3:40 AM by hansbaus

Access an adapter on another application server?

hansbaus

I'd like to access a resource adapter on a WebLogic (6.1) application server, but the client (J2EE) code should not depend on that (or know it at all).

Is it possible at all? I guess there may be (namespace) conflicts because of different classes implementing the same interfaces.

If it should work, how do I do it? Create an InitialContext with different environment properties read from the old environment?
      Then I have to write some code, but it could just use the old environment if the new one is not defined or the same.

I think about writing a kind of proxy resource adapter that wraps all requests to the remote adapter, but maybe that's not needed?!

any ideas?

Hans Bausewein

• 1. Re: Access an adapter on another application server?
          davidjencks

The adapter architecture is not designed for this and I do not recommend it.

Why can't you deploy the adapter on jboss?

If you can't do this, you should put a session bean on the weblogic server that uses the adapter, and communicate with this. You will not be able to have transactions that include both jboss and weblogic AFAIK.

• 2. Re: Access an adapter on another application server?
            hansbaus

> The adapter architecture is not designed for this
            > and I do not recommend it.

I thought it is possible to run any module on another server, so I guessed a R.A. would also work.

> Why can't you deploy the adapter on jboss?

This works on JBoss 3.0.4, but on J2EE RI it causes some weird classloading problems and I'm not sure it will work in future JBoss versions. It seems, that Sun has separated the various parts of the application server much more than JBoss currently does.

The Java API accessed by my R.A. does some classloading tricks to make session beans accessible as normal Java objects through a public interface. It is designed for access from plain Java and they had some more problems when other J2EE components were accessible. I thought I could work around this by moving the R.A. to the WebLogic server.

> If you can't do this, you should put a session bean
            > on the weblogic server that uses the adapter, and
            > communicate with this. You will not be able to have
            > transactions that include both jboss and weblogic
            > AFAIK.

That won't be an issue, because all transactions will be on JBoss. The WebLogic access is only needed for lookup.

Hans Bausewein