3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2004 8:21 AM by adrian.brock

Problem: thread hangs on call to WrapperDataSource.getConnec

vidarkongsli

"vidarkongsli" wrote:
      Hi all,

I have a problem that occurs now and then in my application. It seems to be related to getting a database connection from a JNDI datasource. I'm using:
      JBoss 3.2.1
      DB2 7.2
      Redhat 7.2
      Sun J2SE 1.4.2_01

I have the following datasource definition:
      <datasources>
       <local-tx-datasource>
       <jndi-name>jiveDS</jndi-name>
       <connection-url>jdbc:db2</connection-url>
       <driver-class>COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver</driver-class>
       <user-name>user</user-name>
       <min-pool-size>2</min-pool-size>
       <max-pool-size>2</max-pool-size>
       <transaction-isolation>TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED</transaction-isolation>
       </local-tx-datasource>
      </datasources>

Once in a while a thread will hang. When running the
      killall -3 java

I retrieve the following stack trace of the hung thread:
      "PoolThread-17" prio=1 tid=0x090fb040 nid=0x5023 in Object.wait() [511a4000..511a58c8]
       at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
       - waiting on <0x44e87c00> (a EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.QueuedSemaphore$WaitQueue$WaitNode)
       at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.QueuedSemaphore$WaitQueue$WaitNode.doTimedWait(QueuedSemaphore.java:123)
       - locked <0x44e87c00> (a EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.QueuedSemaphore$WaitQueue$WaitNode)
       at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.QueuedSemaphore.attempt(QueuedSemaphore.java:47)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.InternalManagedConnectionPool.getConnection(InternalManagedConnectionPool.java:101)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.JBossManagedConnectionPool$OnePool.getConnection(JBossManagedConnectionPool.java:643)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.BaseConnectionManager2.getManagedConnection(BaseConnectionManager2.java:413)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.TxConnectionManager.getManagedConnection(TxConnectionManager.java:331)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.BaseConnectionManager2.allocateConnection(BaseConnectionManager2.java:488)
       at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.BaseConnectionManager2$ConnectionManagerProxy.allocateConnection(BaseConnectionManager2.java:798)
       at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrapperDataSource.getConnection(WrapperDataSource.java:102)
       at com.jivesoftware.base.database.JNDIDataSourceProvider.getConnection(JNDIDataSourceProvider.java:182)
       at com.jivesoftware.base.database.ConnectionManager.getConnection(ConnectionManager.java:99)

It seems to me that a lock is set on a monitor and then the threading is set to wait.

Any ideas?

Regards,
      Vidar