1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2004 11:33 AM by frito

MDBs and Transactions

paulsmith001

All,

I have an MDB listening on a topic. I start a bean-managed transaction within the bean. Let's say that whilst the transaction is executing, another message arrives on the topic.

Will the container create another (or use another pooled) instance of the MDB to handle the message?

If it does, will the container allow the 2nd instance to start a transaction whilst the first transaction is still active?

Had I been using container managed transactions, would the answers to the above two questions be different?

Slightly unrelated, how can I see the number of instances of each bean pooled by the container at any given time? I have looked in the JMX console but I can't find it.

Thanks,
      Paul

• 1. Re: MDBs and Transactions
          frito

"PaulSmith001" wrote:

Will the container create another (or use another pooled) instance of the MDB to handle the message?

yes, depending of the maximum number of instances configured with the used container
          "PaulSmith001" wrote:

If it does, will the container allow the 2nd instance to start a transaction whilst the first transaction is still active?

yes
          "PaulSmith001" wrote:

Had I been using container managed transactions, would the answers to the above two questions be different?

no
          "PaulSmith001" wrote:

Slightly unrelated, how can I see the number of instances of each bean pooled by the container at any given time? I have looked in the JMX console but I can't find it.

don't know this, try the web-console instead, but I am not sure if this only shows some statistics about the SFSBs