5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2007 3:31 PM by peterj

Problems: Configuring JBoss 4.0 in Red Hat Enterprise 4.0

ivanovas

Hello,

I'm looking for configuration examples of sysctl.conf, file descriptors, kernel configuration fo JBoss using Red Hat. I'm looking in the books: JBOSS Getting Started and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Reference Guide but still can't find what I want, can anyone help? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you for the help;-)

• 1. Re: Problems: Configuring JBoss 4.0 in Red Hat Enterprise 4.
          peterj

I guess that I am not sure what you are looking for. We run JBoss AS 4.0.x on RHEL 4 at work. All we did was downloaded and installed a Sun JDK (both 1.4.2 or 1.5.0 work), downloaded and unziped the JBoss AS binary, set JAVA_HOME, and ran the run.sh script in the bin directory.

• 2. Re: Problems: Configuring JBoss 4.0 in Red Hat Enterprise 4.
            ivanovas

Sorry for the delay and thank you for taking the time to answer.

The main problem is that I wanted some scripts and examples of how those configurations(sysctl.conf, file descriptors, kernel configuration) for Red Hat Enterprise 4 to work with JBoss 4.

In the end, I did find lots of examples of linux and RH configuration and now am having some doubts about the packages needed by the JBoss for full instalation and configuration on the RH like:

1) What is the requirements to install the JBoss 4 on the Red Hat Enterprise 4?

2) What kinds of packages do I need to have installed/configured in RH for the correct instalation and configuration of the JBoss?

Thank you for the help.

• 3. Re: Problems: Configuring JBoss 4.0 in Red Hat Enterprise 4.
              peterj

Actually, I already answered your questions.

1) The only requirement: Sun JDK 1.4.2 or 1.5

2) see 1

I think you are making this harder than it is. There are no configuration settings to make, no RPM to run. My prior post gives you all the steps you need.

• 4. Re: Problems: Configuring JBoss 4.0 in Red Hat Enterprise 4.
                ivanovas

But what about linux.conf? My boss says I have to make some configuration in the scripts but I'm not sure in what scripts nor the configuration in itself...

• 5. Re: Problems: Configuring JBoss 4.0 in Red Hat Enterprise 4.
                  peterj

What is linux.conf? (From my question, you probably guessed that I have never changed it.) Nor have I changed any other scripts. Have you even tried the steps I outlined? I have run JBoss AS on RHEL 4, SUSE 9, FC4, FC5 and FC6, and in every case the steps I have outlined previously have worked.

Caveats: I always unzip the JBoss AS zip file into /opt (yielding, for example, /opt/jboss-4.0.5.GA). (Well, not always, I often download the source distribution of grab the source straight from Subversion and compile it myself, but even those always go into /opt or /opt/jboss.) I always did this as my own login id (not as root), so I did have to first grant myself access to /opt. And when I ran JBoss AS I ran it as my own login id.

On every machine I have had root access. But you don't even need that if you install JBoss AS in your home directory. By default, JBoss AS does not use any of the reserved IP ports (1..1023), so running as non-root is not an issue.

As long as you run the browser from the same machine and use http://localhost::8080 to access the server, or run client apps on the same machine and use port 1099 to access JNDI (and various other ports such a 1098, 4444 and 4445), you don't even need to configure your firewall.

Once again I am wondering what exactly it is that you are attempting to do. And no, determining what configuration files to change is NOT your goal. Changing configuration files is what you assume you need to do to accomplish your goal. Perhaps if you could clarify your actual goal... (So far, I have assumed that your goal is to install JBoss AS, which is what you specified in your second post.)