2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2007 1:31 PM by simonjpalmer

Unexpected shutdown

simonjpalmer

I have a situation where I am running JBoss on Windows (XP or Server 2003) from a command window. After about 48 hours, and for no apparent reason, JBoss terminates itself with a clean and orderly shutdown.

Nothing else of consequence is running on the machine at the time, it is dedicated to my app. No handled or unhandled exceptions occur, it seems to receive a shutdown message from out of nowhere and terminates cleanly.

You'll notice in the log that the last message was a write a few minutes before, which was successful. Next thing that happens is the debug message saying that it has been notified to shutdown. By what?

Here is a snippet from my log:

2007-08-17 12:12:20,283 DEBUG
      [pmco.security.FileUserPortfolioAccessControlCache]
      WriteObjectPlanPoint : attemption to write planpoint file :
      c:/pmco-data/xml/0B95EF6E-D9C4-C2B2-797A-4020FFAD6B3B.planpoint
      2007-08-17 16:46:12,876 DEBUG
       [org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread]
       Notified to shutdown
       2007-08-17 16:46:12,876 INFO [org.jboss.system.server.Server] Runtime
      shutdown hook called, forceHalt: true
      2007-08-17 16:46:12,876 INFO [org.jboss.system.server.Server] JBoss
      SHUTDOWN: Undeploying all packages
      2007-08-17 16:46:12,876 DEBUG [org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer]
      Undeploying file:/C:/pmco-server/jboss-4.0.5.GA/server/default/deploy/pmco-spring-server.war,
      isShutdown=true
      2007-08-17 16:46:12,892 DEBUG
      [org.jboss.ws.integration.jboss.DeployerInterceptorJSE] stop:
      file:/C:/pmco-server/jboss-4.0.5.GA/server/default/deploy/pmco-spring-server.war
      2007-08-17 16:46:12,892 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController]
      stopping service:
      jboss.web.deployment:war=pmco-spring-server.war,id=754557023

• 1. Re: Unexpected shutdown
          peterj

Are your running JBoss AS via Remote Desktop, VNC, or some other such remoting software? If so, is is possibly closing the session? Such a closure would propagate itself to all applications started.

You could also try running JBoss AS as a service, that would avoid this type of issue.

I did a search on "Notified to shutdown" and found the following discussion: http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=98571

• 2. Re: Unexpected shutdown
            simonjpalmer

thanks for the response. It looks like it may have something to do with the way I connect to the server. I have two remote servers that I connect to using remote desktop. On one I have JBoss running as a service and so far that one has not terminated in the way described.

On the other one I run JBoss from a the run.bat script which means it is in a command window. This one receives the unexpected shutdown request.

It may have something to do with the remote desktop session, but it is not as straightforward as simply disconnecting and dropping the service. I can show that not to be the case, so there is something more subtle going on.

I think the solution is to run it as a service, but it is a bit strange and I hate to leave something like this dangling. I may try that -Xrs switch...