7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 11:46 AM by peterj

reading didn't help

hate_rtfm_rafb

Well, I read the installation guide on here for Windows XP, it says you can put Jboss Files ANYWHERE, there's another guide on here that says you can't put it anywhere, especially not "program files". I also read ANT is optional so I didn't install. Otherwise I followed the main directions, configure path for JAVA_HOME, JBOSS_HOME etc. etc. i'm not gonna repeat the instructions i followed i've already read them, followed them etc.

Doesn't start the server with run.bat. Can't open up localhost or loopback address on port 8080 or any other port. Can't find out what is wrong.

So where do I even begin to find out what went wrong ? I tried searching through the jboss directory structure for some error log but all i see are .xml files. Tried searching forums but get all these technical mumbo jumbo posts. Tried freenode #jboss on freenode but the few channel users (30 or so) were just not there. I'm running out of resources and patience. I don't think learning Jboss is worth the time anymore. Can anyone convince me otherwise? (no evangelists. just technical support can convince me)

• 1. Re: reading didn't help
          jaikiran

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:
          Well, I read the installation guide on here for Windows XP, it says you can put Jboss Files ANYWHERE, there's another guide on here that says you can't put it anywhere, especially not "program files".

Its recommended that you dont install JBoss in folders which have a space in their path name. Not just JBoss, but other Java installations too show up weird errors when least expected, if you have them installed in such folders.

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:

I also read ANT is optional so I didn't install.

That's correct, you dont need ANT to run JBoss.

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:

i'm not gonna repeat the instructions i followed i've already read them, followed them etc.

Sometimes, even after following the instructions, there are chances that you might have missed something or done something wrong. If you post the details then someone here might be able to point you in the right direction. Please let us know which version of JBoss, Java you are using. What have you set JAVA_HOME to? What does the following command print?

echo %JAVA_HOME%

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:

Doesn't start the server with run.bat.

Do you see any errors on the console or anything in the server.log file (which is located at %JBOSS_HOME%\server\< serverName>\log folder)? Please post the logs here.

• 2. Re: reading didn't help
            hate_rtfm_rafb

echo %JAVA_HOME%

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_05

I guess according to what you say(not what the docs say/omitted), I should install Java elsewhere, even though I've been making non-server Java applications in eclipse/netbeans for years without any problems at all with Java in program files.

%JBOSS_HOME%\server\< serverName>\log folder

I don't see anything in C:\jboss\jboss-4.2.2.GA\server except the folders:
            all, default, minimal. Needless to say, I still can't find the error log(s).

Why does 4.22 documentation say it's still in beta and downloads say it's stable? I shouldn't even help the Jboss company out with this documentation debugging info. I should just use IIS and forget about searching for hours for non-existant support in time wasting documentation.

• 3. Re: reading didn't help
              jaikiran

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:

%JBOSS_HOME%\server\< serverName>\log folder

I don't see anything in C:\jboss\jboss-4.2.2.GA\server except the folders:
              all, default, minimal. Needless to say, I still can't find the error log(s).

The logs will be present in a folder named C:\jboss\jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\log. The log file name is server.log

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:

I shouldn't even help the Jboss company out with this documentation debugging info.

Why not? JBoss is a community driven application srever. The more you help in improving this, the better it will become.

You havent yet mentioned what happens when you run the run.bat file. Do you see anything at all on the console?

• 4. Re: reading didn't help
                hate_rtfm_rafb

double clicking the run.bat briefly opens console window and closes. Running from command line prints out 1 new line and from what I can tell, nothing happens. server.log isn't in the default folder. I only see conf, deploy, lib folders. I un-hid all hidden files/folders and still theres no server.log. It's nowhere.

• 5. Re: reading didn't help
                  jaikiran

"hate_rtfm_rafb" wrote:
                  double clicking the run.bat briefly opens console window and closes. Running from command line prints out 1 new line and from what I can tell, nothing happens.

What is that one line? Can you please post it?

• 6. Re: reading didn't help
                    jaikiran

Ok, i think the problem is with the JAVA_HOME setting. Can you move (copy/paste) the Java installation to maybe C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_05 instead of the current C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_05? Then set the JAVA_HOME to:

set JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_05

and then start JBoss from the command line using the run.bat.

Also, note that JBoss is not fully qualified to run on Java 6. However, that's not the reason why you are seeing this problem. You might run into a different issue using Java 6 with JBoss-4.2.x, but we have a solution for that too. Let's get JBoss started first.

• 7. Re: reading didn't help
                      peterj

One thought, based on your description of what happens when your run run.bat. You might be running into the findstr issue (see http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=FindstrCommandNotFound).

If that is the case, you can either follow the instructions provided in that link, or comment out these lines in the run.bat:

rem Add -server to the JVM options, if supported
                      rem "%JAVA%" -version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot > nul
                      rem if not errorlevel == 1 (set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server)

(I am not sure why some people do not have findstr in their XP installation. Are you using XP Home by any chance?)

If that does not work, comment out the "@echo off" statement at the start of run.bat and post the output when you run run.bat.