9 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2007 11:44 PM by clebert.suconic

Scoped deployments

clebert.suconic

This is a discussion of http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBMESSAGING-925:

I'm working on this issue, and I have a question regarding tomcat-coyote.jar, tomcat-http.jar and tomcat-util.jar.

I know what to do with jboss-remoting, serialization and aop. But I don't have any clue about what to do with those. Should I replace them anywhere on the server?

Also.. I'm changing jboss-messaging-client.jar to use classpath argument on METAINF as follows:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
      Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.0
      Created-By: 1.5.0_07-b03 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
      classpath: jboss-aop.jar jboss-remoting.jar jboss-serialization.jar ja
       vassist.jar trove.jar jboss-common-core.jar jboss-logging-log4j.jar j
       boss-logging-spi.jar jboss-j2ee.jar jboss-j2se.jar jnp-client.jar con
       current.jar log4j.jar commons-logging.jar tomcat-coyote.jar tomcat-ht
       tp.jar tomcat-util.jar

• 1. Re: Scoped deployments
          timfox

First thing to do is get the dependencies sorted out.

We don't use jboss serialization any more, so this can be removed.

The tomcat jars are only needed for the remoting http transport, i don't think we need to replace them.

AFAICT just need to replace remoting and AOP for 4.0.x, and no need to replace anything for 4.2.x

Regarding the client classpath - are you sure we need all those jars? The tomcat ones we can probably get rid of.

• 2. Re: Scoped deployments
            timfox

"clebert.suconic@jboss.com" wrote:

Also.. I'm changing jboss-messaging-client.jar to use classpath argument on METAINF as follows:

How does listing the jars on the Class-Path attribute in the manifest help?

I thought this was only uses if it is an executable jar file, or, say when inspected by an app server?

classpath: jboss-aop.jar jboss-remoting.jar jboss-serialization.jar ja
             vassist.jar trove.jar jboss-common-core.jar jboss-logging-log4j.jar j
             boss-logging-spi.jar jboss-j2ee.jar jboss-j2se.jar jnp-client.jar con
             current.jar log4j.jar commons-logging.jar tomcat-coyote.jar tomcat-ht
             tp.jar tomcat-util.jar

I believe it is "Class-Path", not "classpath":
            http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html

• 3. Re: Scoped deployments
              clebert.suconic

I thought this was only uses if it is an executable jar file, or, say when inspected by an app server?

I'm just following Scott's suggestion for jboss-client.jar.

I'm hopping that a reference into jboss-messaging-client.jar would also add other libraries.

I believe it is "Class-Path", not "classpath":

Oops.. Thanks! :-)

• 4. Re: Scoped deployments
                clebert.suconic

We don't use jboss serialization any more, so this can be removed.

I thought ObjectMessages could still use it.

• 5. Re: Scoped deployments
                  timfox

I'm just following Scott's suggestion for jboss-client.jar.

I'm hopping that a reference into jboss-messaging-client.jar would also add other libraries.

I'm sure Scott had good reason for suggesting it, but you need to make sure you're understanding his real motivation behind the suggestion before just adding it blindly :)

• 6. Re: Scoped deployments
                    timfox

I thought ObjectMessages could still use it.

Not currently.

• 7. Re: Scoped deployments
                      clebert.suconic

"Tim Fox" wrote:
                      I'm sure Scott had good reason for suggesting it, but you need to make sure you're understanding his real motivation behind the suggestion before just adding it blindly :)

Sure.. of course!

This will be tested.. if it doesn't work.. we will find other way.

• 8. Re: Scoped deployments
                        clebert.suconic

The Class-path entry worked smoothly...

For both compilation and runtime. Adding for instance common-loggin to the ClassPathEntry solved a compilation I had on a test.

I was also considering declaring other dependencies into jboss-messaing-client.jar on that Class-path entry, just to make it easier to customers using jboss-messaging-client.jar instead of jboss-all-client.jar. since this doesn't cost anything and would be helpful.

For example.. declaring JNDI libraries would be helpful.

• 9. Re: Scoped deployments
                          clebert.suconic

I have committed changes...

Basically tasks like scoped-sar were renamed to just sar...

Also release-admin was modified... I have to double check the standalone configuration as that is causing some smoke tests to fail. But most of the work is already done.

As part of this I also did some tests with copying all to messaging, and all worked fine if I removed ha-deployment. I will change deployment descriptors on monday to work fine with that.