2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 6:19 AM by timfox

supporting multiple queues.xml

jmesnil

a new requirements is to support multiples queues settings configuration files from the same directory.

Currently, QueueSettingsDeployer will find all the resources named "queues.xml" and deploy each of them.

The new approach would be to deploy /any/ file ending with "jbm-queues.xml" (e.g. test-jbm-queues.xml & prod-jbm-queues.xml)
      This means that the deployer must find all files which matches this name suffix.
      I think we can make both the code and the setup simpler by only looking for files ending in "jbm-queues.xml" in the config dir (and its subdirs).
      So that we don't have to check all the class path locations for such files.

wdyt?

• 1. Re: supporting multiple queues.xml
          jmesnil

i've thought a little more about this during the week-end and I'm not sure the feature is worth it.

If our users wants to declare queues spread in many configuration files, they can already do so by having files in separate directories (e.g. a/queues.xml, b/queues.xml,...)
          This is a bit ugly but it works.

If now we want to support multiple queue configuration files from the same directory, things get more complex: we need to scan the directories to find all the matching files (e.g. ending with jbm-queues.xml).
          Either we have to scan all the classpath or allow configuration files only on a specified directory (e.g. config) which must explicitely passed when starting an instance of messaging server. In both case, it is brittle and ugly.

I had a look at JBoss microcontainer deployer to get the functionality but I've not found yet how to provide it in JBM.

Since there is already a solution to support multiple configuration (put them in separate dirs), the only update I'd like to do is to rename the expected file names to jbm-queues.xml to avoid unlikely clash with the more generic queues.xml name.
          If we have some more time before the release of JBM2 GA, I'll revisit this feature but in the mean time, I'll move to more urgent tasks.

wdyt?

• 2. Re: supporting multiple queues.xml
            timfox

"jmesnil" wrote:
            i've thought a little more about this during the week-end and I'm not sure the feature is worth it.

If our users wants to declare queues spread in many configuration files, they can already do so by having files in separate directories (e.g. a/queues.xml, b/queues.xml,...)
            This is a bit ugly but it works.

If now we want to support multiple queue configuration files from the same directory, things get more complex: we need to scan the directories to find all the matching files (e.g. ending with jbm-queues.xml).
            Either we have to scan all the classpath or allow configuration files only on a specified directory (e.g. config) which must explicitely passed when starting an instance of messaging server. In both case, it is brittle and ugly.

I had a look at JBoss microcontainer deployer to get the functionality but I've not found yet how to provide it in JBM.

Since there is already a solution to support multiple configuration (put them in separate dirs), the only update I'd like to do is to rename the expected file names to jbm-queues.xml to avoid unlikely clash with the more generic queues.xml name.
            If we have some more time before the release of JBM2 GA, I'll revisit this feature but in the mean time, I'll move to more urgent tasks.

wdyt?

+1