6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2003 9:49 AM by julien1

first doco

so long awaited, here is some docs about Nukes. it tries to explain how to build it and how to develop block/module/theme for it.

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=html&op=userdisplay&id=developers/projects/nukes/index

hope it will help you. Reply in this thread for mistakes etc...

julien

• 1. Build error

I was trying to build the latest Nukes with the following errors:

_default:compile-classes:
          [mkdir] Created dir: C:\projects\jboss\nukes\nukes\output\classes
          [depend] Deleted 0 out of date files in 0 seconds
          [javac] Compiling 88 source files to C:\projects\jboss\nukes\nukes\output\classes
          [execmodules] C:\projects\jboss\nukes\nukes\output\gen\classes\org\jboss\nukes\core\modules\core\CoreModuleMBean.java:14
          : cannot resolve symbol
          [execmodules] symbol : class ObjectNameFactory
          [execmodules] location: package util
          [execmodules] public static final javax.management.ObjectName OBJECT_NAME = org.jboss.mx.util.ObjectNameFactory.creat
          e("nukes.modules:name=core");
          [execmodules] ^
          [execmodules] C:\projects\jboss\nukes\nukes\output\gen\classes\org\jboss\nukes\resources\ResourceCacheMBean.java:14: can
          not resolve symbol
          [execmodules] public static final javax.management.ObjectName OBJECT_NAME = org.jboss.mx.util.ObjectNameFactory.creat
          e("nukes:name=ResourceCache");
          [execmodules] ^
          [execmodules] C:\projects\jboss\nukes\nukes\output\gen\classes\org\jboss\nukes\core\modules\html\HtmlModuleMBean.java:14
          : cannot resolve symbol
          e("nukes.modules:name=html");
          [execmodules] ^
          [execmodules] 3 errors

BUILD FAILED
          file:C:/projects/jboss/nukes/nukes/../tools/etc/buildfragments/targets.ent:45: Compile failed; see the compiler error ou
          tput for details.

I was looking for org.jboss.mx.util.ObjectNameFactory

but there is no such thing in either nukes or jboss (head, 3.2RC1 or 3.2RC3). Is this a typo or am I missing something?

Thanks,
          Alex.

• 2. Re: Is there PostNuke-Like Software for JBoss?

> is this a one man project or do you plan to get more
            > people involved? (maybe there is more already)

so far I am alone. I am working on core which is still early. Once done, we can develop lot of things at the same time since nukes are based on modules. Don't worry, just let me a little nit more time to work out that.

>
            > do you have list of things that you want to reproduce
            > from the PHPNukes?
            >
            > when blogs where on I saw you trying to figure out
            > what is the structure of the pnukes, how is that
            > going?
            >

I posted an analysis on dev mailing list (you can browse old messages on http://www.mail-archive.com/)

> I would want to participate (and even have some
            > time), but not sure how ...

Once core done, you will pick up the module you want, small, medium, big) there are tons to port.

julien

• 3. Re: first doco
              h2o_polo

Just finished reading your doc on installing nukes

When I try to deploy the nukes I get class not found exception FileUploadException.

Putting

commons-fileupload-1.0-beta-1.jar

commons-beanutils.jar

commons-logging-api.jar

in nukes/src/resources/nukes-ear/META-INF/application.xml helped to solve that problem.

Now I am up and running.

Thanks,
              Alex.

• 4. Re: first doco

I did not notice that and I wonder why.

The library nukes-lib.ear is supposed to deploy then nukes.ear according to deployment sorter.

I don't know what does the tag java
                does at ear level.

how did you find the doco ?

julien

• 5. Re: first doco
                  h2o_polo

the nukes-lib.ear deploys fine and so is nukes.ear;
                  except for nukes.ear has three commons libs that do not. That java tag in application.xml that I was talking about does exactly the deployment of those commons libs that inside your nukes.ear

You probably did not have a problem 'cause you have it deployed somewhere else. Since I have a fresh install of jboss I have an exception thrown

The docs are good. I would add some explanation on how nukes would handle a simple request. Just run thru and show what is being done at each stage of the request processing.

The relation between blocks and modules is a bit unclear. How and where blocks get rendered and then assembled to produce output html.

Another thing to add you have no explanation of the security model you use.

That is it for now. I admit though that I have not done a single module yet so I might clarify my own confusion if and when I do so.

• 6. Re: first doco

ok, I will have a lokk at this so ! what you say makes sense.

I should do a sequence diagram, what do you think ?

Yes security model is another beast !

You can trace nukes execution within JBoss with eclipse. It's easy to do that with JPDA.
                    in rub.bat you uncomment the line :

set JAVA_OPTS=-classic -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=n %JAVA_OPTS%

then you launch jboss

then you launch your debuggerm set a watch on org.jboss.nukes.servlet.NukeServlet and attach your debugger to the running jboss server.

it's the best if you want to figure out how it works.

julien