4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2004 1:05 PM by julien1

Making nukes more userfriendly

janoz

Our company wishes to use Nukes. The problem is that the admin side of the site is aimed at people that know a lot about internet and HTML, and out launching costumur doesn't have this knowledge.

At this point we are changing the html module to a more userfriendly one. The problem is that it sits in the core. Our version will become incompatible with the rest. Are there plans to make the core modules more pluggable? And is there also a nice way to combine the nukes cvs with our own one so we can do our own version managment on our own additions? With separate modules this isn't a problem, but with core modules this is difficult.

I'm new at developing in such large groups btw. I'm only used to developing with a group of people in the same room :)

• 1. Re: Making nukes more userfriendly

I plan to move the HTML module (and some other) out of the core.
          What kind of change do you want to do ?

• 2. Re: Making nukes more userfriendly
            janoz

The first change we are making is using a wysiwyg editor. We're implementing http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm. But more importantly nukes shouldn't ristrict te user to a certain editor. Maybe its possible to use some kind of template or something (because the code for a normal textfield doesn't differ much from the rte textfield). That way admins kan implement the edit facilities they like without 'hacking' it into nukes.

Maybe its reusable to. Just have 1 wysiwyg editor and not only use it for editing a whole page, but also for news items or something (maybe even for the forum, but they use bbcode so that's a little different ;) )

• 3. Re: Making nukes more userfriendly

I'd definitely agree that Nukes needs to be a bit more user friendly. But i do understand from my own developments in the past, that it's often more important to get the project up and running before worrying about ease of use and look & feel. My own personal usablity issue is that when i login it sends me back to the home page. So if I'm trying to post to a forum and i have to login, then i'm back at the home page and have to go find the right forum message again. But i know how to fix that one so it's no big deal.

"Janoz" wrote:
              The first change we are making is using a wysiwyg editor. We're implementing http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm. But more importantly nukes shouldn't ristrict te user to a certain editor.

A WYSIWYG editor would be great, and making it pluggable would also be very nice. If you're looking for a good, free, open-source one to use, take a look at HTMLArea (http://www.dynarch.com/mishoo/htmlarea.epl). Originally made by interactivetools for IE, it now works great in Mozilla and has a plugin architecture for things like spell checking and table operations.

... .joe

• 4. Re: Making nukes more userfriendly

I am thinking of bringing the concept of plugin in the HTML module. A plugin would be responsible for editing, modifying, etc... a file in that module. Do you think that could bring flexibility ?