2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2008 6:10 AM by wark2007

Performance tuning of large UIs

I am designing UIs similar to desktop applications. For example I have just a few major pages with many tabpanels and a lot of dialogs (modalpanel). I am experiencing some performance problems when the UI becomes larger and larger (JSP file with more than 750 lines). Of course, that is not a richfaces issue but I think richfaces offers possibilities to solve that problem.

The cause of the problem is, that a very large JSF tree must be processed, much HTML must be submitted to the client and parsed by the client. What solutions do exist for that problem? Can I use a4j:include to load the content of the dialogs/tabs the user has requested? For example the user clicks the edit button and then the edit.xhtml file with a modalpanel will be included. If the user doesn't want to click the edit button, the dialog will never be transmitted to client.

• 1. Re: Performance tuning of large UIs
          pbrewer_uk

I also have a large application in which performance is suffering: tree on left, view panel on the right (with ~50 different panels about half of which are modal) and a workflow status display at the bottom of the screen .

I have been able to improve performance to some degree using an a4j:region that has renderRegionOnly="true". This basically restricts the processing of the JSF tree to only the a4j:region in which the submission occurs.

However, it is a bit inconvenient because anything outside of that region cannot be reRendered on the front-end (unless you perform a separate submission using a <a4j:jsFunction reRender="..." /> defined outside of that region).

I haven't used a4j:include, but I believe it is used for wizard-style navigation. I'm not sure if/ how you can change the a4j:include view-id from outside of the a4j:include.

For example the user clicks the edit button and then the edit.xhtml file with a modalpanel will be included.

I'd like to know if that is possible too?

Cheers, Pete.

• 2. Re: Performance tuning of large UIs

Thanks!

I'd like to know if that is possible too?

That would be a nice feature for next versions. Or is that possible with the existing components? Anybody else has an idea?