5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2003 10:59 AM by acoliver

POP Implementation

edaugherty

• 1. Re: POP Implementation
          edaugherty

Sorry I had to run so I cut it off rather short... I think a MailBox JMX service which calls to a session bean (specified as a parameter) and our own folder abstraction makes sense for the proof of concept. I think more work needs to be done on our mail abstraction...presently it does relatively little with the headers (I figured POP would round that out).

• 2. Re: POP Implementation
            acoliver

Welcome Eric. I look forward to working with you. How should we decouple the mail repository from the protocol implementation? I'm thinking we should have a mailbox service....

• 3. Re: POP Implementation
              edaugherty

We will definitely need some sort of sepearte Mailbox service. This service will be accessed from the POP3 and IMAP protocol implementations, as well as from the SMTP Local Delivery manager, which is yet to be designed.

• 4. Re: POP Implementation
                acoliver

I don't care about the javax.mail API. I mean its a client API and so far I'm underwhelmed by its utility (the InternetHeaders class not being serializable did it for me)... So lets roll what makes the most since instead of making a square peg fit a round hole.

The MailBox services should be a JMX service decoupled like the rest..More thoughts later...

• 5. Re: POP Implementation
                  acoliver

Sorry I had to run so I cut it off rather short... I think a MailBox JMX service which calls to a session bean (specified as a parameter) and our own folder abstraction makes sense for the proof of concept. I think more work needs to be done on our mail abstraction...presently it does relatively little with the headers (I figured POP would round that out).