4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2006 12:14 PM by maxandersen

hibernate tools hangs eclipse

bugra

i would like to know if anyone has the same problem:

from time to time (it is really not reproduceable but already happend more than a dozen time) while working on Hibernate Perspective eclipse hangs and uses 100%cpu. because of the heavy cpu allocation my whole desktop becomes unusable and even killing eclipse takes up to 10 minutes.

the current solution that I have is systeminternals.com Process Explorer to ll eclipse and its subprocesses, since ProcExpl usually runs with higher priority (even windows task manager become unresponsive.)

my current environment is windows xp sp2 and eclipse 3.2 with a few other plugins. i really don't think this has to do with any other plugins since eclipse hangs always while using hibernate perspective (e.g. HQL Editor, etc.)

• 1. Re: hibernate tools hangs eclipse
          bugra

ohh forgot to tell that i'm using Hibernate Tools 3.2.0.b7

• 2. Re: hibernate tools hangs eclipse
            maxandersen

do you have just the hibernate tools installed or also the rest of jobsside installed ?

Where you editing some xml while it were happening ?

Those two questions is because i know of two other issues that has this behavior:

WTP issues with xml and jbosside issues with jboss as.

With hibernate tools i haven't seen this issue unless the jdbc driver were having a hard time to connect to the db ..could this be the case ?

• 3. Re: hibernate tools hangs eclipse
              bugra

> do you have just the hibernate tools installed or also the rest of jobsside installed ?

I have only hibernate tools installed.

> Where you editing some xml while it were happening ?

It could be possible that I had a few editor windows (tabs) open with XML files. but the "second" before the hang up of eclipse I wasn't on this editor tab. so the answer would be, I had open XML editor tabs but i was not editing them.

> ... unless the jdbc driver were having a hard time to connect to the db ..could this be the case ?

i don't think so. I'm currently using Apache Derby 10.1 "Nature" as a project in eclipse (starting & stopping the server from inside eclipse) - for testing purposes - and using "org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver" driver. since the DB is on the same box the connectivity shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for your feedback.

• 4. Re: hibernate tools hangs eclipse
                maxandersen

so what where you actually doing that "second" ?

...and apache derby is unfortunatly exactly one of the drivers that can be very heavy in its "connection and metadata handling"..