Hangs a little ...and then it works or ?
If it just hangs a little and then works it is most likely because we by default scans the whole database metadata and on oracle that is slow.
Set default_schema and default_catalog in your hibernate properties and it should reduce the time spent.
As far as I tried, it hangs indefinately. CPU and disk load drop to 0 for both Eclipse and Oracle. I waited several minutes but I got no response. I need to kill Eclipse and make sure no Java processes remain. If I then startup Eclipse again I can continue working but no classes have been created.
I noticed that seam-gen works from the command line. For now that solves my problem, since I can generate the project, all entities, actions and pages and then open up the project in Eclipse (or NetBeans for that matter).
I tried all of this with Java6, not Java5. Can that be the problem? I haven't tried using Java5 yet since I have a deadlne for a demo using JBoss Tools next Thursday so I am glad I found out that seam-gen works.
As for your suggestion to set default_schema, I tried that but it makes no difference. I know it doesn't since I set it wrong at first. I used lower case instead of upper case, which Oracle requires. Seam-gen wouldn't generate anything at first since I made the same mistake. Only when I entered it in upper case seam-gen would generate everything as I expected.
Java6 causes all sorts of issues.
if it works with seam-gen it *must* also work here...its the same freaking code.
OK I will try with Java5 during the weekend. And I will check and double check the settings used by Eclipse against the settings used by the command line seam-gen. Thanks for the pointers.
I think I ran into this bug
In hibernate-console.properties the line
was missing. After creating a new Seam Web Project and adding the line to that file, Entity generation works ok. Even with Java 6.