4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 3:21 AM by garu

(3.0.0.Alpha1) Server launch config is not customizable

garu

Hi JBoss gurus,
      i'm using a JBoss configuration system that by means of some ant files generates a customized server-bindings.xml and an associated properties file. Passing this properties file at server startup with the --properties option i'm able to start in the same machine many different server instances, each with its own set of working directories (conf, data, deploy, lib, log, etc, like Tomcat) and its own set of ports, but with a single installation and with a single server default dir.

As asked in eclipse bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=212727 i installed JBoss Tools 3.0.0.Alpha1 under eclipse 3.4, but to my great disappointment i discovered that the server launch config, generated when i define a new server is armored and is not alterable in any way.
      If i try to alter the server startup options the launch config is marked in error and any change seems to be ignored.

I want to be able to start those servers from eclipse so what i'm asking is that the Tools should not restrict us to the basic server configuration options, but instead allow complete flexibility to use all the advanced configuration options that JBoss provides.

I'd like to open an enhancement request for this problem, would you please comment on it?

Thanks, Gabriele

• 1. Re: (3.0.0.Alpha1) Server launch config is not customizable
          garu

Hi all,
          i have to partially reset what i said in my previous post.
          Probably i made some mistake pasting the properties file path and perhaps that's the reason why the --properties option was ignored.
          Anyhow creating again the runtime and server i'm now able to use the --properties option.
          Nonetheless when i edit the launch config to add the --properties option it is decorated with a red error marker and this msg "Configuration can only be changed by modifying the server's runtime."

Then i wish to signal some more glitches that perhaps are due to the alpha status, but may be are slipped through the tests.

1- the server launch config is not shown in the "Run configurations" panel

(all the following are related to the Properties view of XML Configuration/Ports)
          2- when the xpath matches only a single location, the name is shown but the location is not
          3- the Properties view is not refeshed. Subsequent stop/start of the server still continues to show the location of /tmp/deploy/tmpxxxxxjboss-service.xml of the first launch that is no longer in the tmp directory. The "Edit file" then silently fails. The "Refresh item" of the ports category has no effect.
          4- the "JNDI" and "JNDI RMI" xpaths never show the locations even if they have more than one match (two when the server is stopped, three when started)

(these are really whishes and not bugs)
          the server has no support for ${jboss.server.base.dir} and ${jboss.server.base.url} configuration properties, this means that:

5- the xpath processor always tries to match into the tmp relative to ${jboss.home.dir} also when the runtime tmp is the one relative to ${jboss.server.base.dir}

6- the xpath processor always matches into the conf relative to ${jboss.home.dir} also while the runtime conf is the one relative to ${jboss.server.base.dir}

would it be possible to integrate support for those JBoss advanced configuration properties?

• 2. Re: (3.0.0.Alpha1) Server launch config is not customizable
            rob.stryker

I cannot repeat hte launch configuration issue in the current TRUNK stream. I must have made the launch configuration more liberal some time ago.

1) You must create a server via servers and runtimes. The API provided by webtools does not allow willy nilly launch configuration creation.

2) This is a feature. If you'd like an option / property to customize, file a JIRA for it

3) The XPath portion is unique becuase I clearly can't have it refreshing and scanning files for differences left and right. The original scan takes quite a while and so it is cached. I'll have to think about a solution. For now, does right-clicking on the element in the JBoss Server's view and clicking "refresh" fix it?

4) Will have to look into it

5) I believe I used to have support for this. I'll have to double check if there was a regression somewhere.

6) Dependent on 5 obviously.

Thanks for the feedback

• 3. Re: (3.0.0.Alpha1) Server launch config is not customizable
              garu

Hi Rob,
              first of all, WOW!! In the mean time i peeked around a bit in the doc and if your beast maintains just half of the promises i see there, it looks really great!

I cannot repeat hte launch configuration issue in the current TRUNK stream. I must have made the launch configuration more liberal some time ago.

I'll wait for next beta and let you know.
              1) You must create a server via servers and runtimes. The API provided by webtools does not allow willy nilly launch configuration creation.

Sure, you are right, even the WTP defaut JBoss server is not there.
              2) This is a feature. If you'd like an option / property to customize, file a JIRA for it

No problem, i saw in the doc that this is normal behavior and i can accept it.
              3) The XPath portion is unique becuase I clearly can't have it refreshing and scanning files for differences left and right. The original scan takes quite a while and so it is cached. I'll have to think about a solution. For now, does right-clicking on the element in the JBoss Server's view and clicking "refresh" fix it?

If you right click on "Ports" category under "XML Configuration" there's already a "Refresh item" menu entry, but it has no effect. Making it working, ie refreshing all the category xpaths, would be enough, i don't thinks there's a need for automatic refresh or refresh for the single xpath, it would be an overkill.
              4) Will have to look into it

Let me know if you need a Jira bug for it.

5) I believe I used to have support for this. I'll have to double check if there was a regression somewhere.

6) Dependent on 5 obviously.

Here i'm exagerating a bit :) but i think that to be completely functional this is somewhat related to https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-2050 support for ServiceBindingManager and https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-2627 regarding support for advanced JBoss configuration options.

Thank you for your attention, Gabriele

• 4. Re: (3.0.0.Alpha1) Server launch config is not customizable
                garu

Hi Rob,
                I do not agree with myself!

Sure, you are right, even the WTP defaut JBoss server is not there.

Not that it has any importance, but just to be precise, the default WTP JBoss server launch configs do show into "Run Configurations" panel undel the "Generic Server" item.