I have tested updating JBoss Tools in the following way:
1) installed Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers SR1 from http://eclipse.org/downloads/
2) added JBoss Tools nigthly update site : http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/trunk/
3) updated all the JBoss Tools features
JBoss Tools 3.1.0.v200911060027N-H62-RC1 (the current nightly build) has been installed correctly. I have also tested updating JBoss Tools Development site (http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/development/) from Eclipse Classic 3.5.1 and haven't succeeded to reproduce the issue.
JBoss Tools BIRT integration requires BIRT WTP Integration SDK that isn't included in the Galileo update site. It is included in the BIRT Update Site (http://download.eclipse.org/birt/update-site/2.5/) that JBoss Tools update sites add correctly. If you want to install BIRT separately then you would use http://download.eclipse.org/birt/update-site/2.5/ and install all the categories (BIRT Charting SDK, BIRT Engine OSGi Runtime SDK, BIRT Reporting SDK and BIRT WTP Integration SDK)
The following are the issues you may have faced:
- a problem with the connection to the BIRT update site or some mirror. This is a temporary problem and would be good if you would try the update again.
- a problem with proxy in case you are using it. There are known issues with proxies that use NTLM authentication.
- a problem with the JBoss Tools update site you tried (the 3.1.0.M3 development site)
Could you specify the steps you have used to update JBoss Tools?
Are you using proxy?