Rework batch related commands for better UX
The batch command is difficult to use. The combination of options is not that obvious to use. Batch command is associated to a bunch of other commands (discard-batch, run-batch, …) that are somehow hidden. A new command should be introduce to clearly offer action for all batch related use cases.
100% compatibility for existing commands. Existing batch command option combinations should still be usable from scripts but hidden from completion. They are replaced by a reworked “batch” command with the following actions:
- clear - Removes all the existing command lines from the batch.
- discard - Discards the currently active batch.
- edit-line - Replaces existing command line from the current batch
- holdback - Saves the currently active batch and exits the batch.
- list - Lists all the commands in the currently active batch.
- list-holdbacks - Prints a list of currently held back batches.
- load-file - Create a new batch and feeds it with commands.
- move-line - Moves existing line from the specified position to the new position.
- new - Starts the batch mode by creating a new batch.
- re-activate - Re-activate an heldback batch.
- remove-line - Removes an existing command line specified with line number.
- run - Run a batch.
- run-file - Run a batch file.
New command is developped with aesh 1.0 Command API.
In order to avoid maintain 2 batch logic (legacy commands and new command), the legacy options are supported by calling into the new command internally.
Jean-François Denise (email@example.com)