Warning: This is for preview
Matthew Wringe has been working on AS5 support for JBoss Portal and we are now ready to show you a working prototype with the limitations stated at the end of this document.
This document supposes that you have Maven and SVN clients installed on your machine.
First we will need to checkout the sources from SVN so that we can get AS5 deployers and the binaries for the portal itself. Let's download everything now:
svn co http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/portal/modules/metadata/trunk metadata svn co http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/portal/modules/deployer/trunk deployer svn co http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/portal/branches/JBoss_Portal_Branch_2_7_AS5 portal
We will also need JBoss AS 5.1.0.Beta1 obviously (latest available at the time of writing) it is available from here: http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads/ or using wget directly (that's the link for JDK6 for JDK5 use the download page):
Now unzip this along the other directories.
Once that done you should have 4 directories: jboss-5.1.0.Beta1, metadata, deployer and portal.
in metadata do:
This will install the metadata libraries locally and this is required for the deployer module
In deployer do:
In portal do:
export JBOSS_HOME=$PWD/../jboss-5.1.0.Beta1 sh build/build.sh deploy-all
The deploy-all target on portal already deployed most of the portal, we still need to copy the AS5 deployer into the application server. Here we will use the default configuration:
cp -r deployer/deployer/target/jboss-portal.deployer-jboss50.dir/jboss-portal.deployer/ jboss-5.1.0.Beta1/server/default/deployers
We also need to add a datasource descriptor, attached to this wiki there is one for the Hypersonic which is embedded in AS5, we just need to copy it in the deploy directory
cp portal-hsqldb-ds.xml jboss-5.1.0.Beta1/server/default/deploy
Go to jboss-5.1.0.Beta1 and execute run.sh. When started go to http://localhost:8080/portal
Limitations / Known issues / Comments
- Error handling isn't that great and an error in the installation process might end up with hard to decipher errors
- XML validation is stricter than before, working portlets on AS4 may not work straight out of the box if the descriptors files were not 100% valid. Xml files must also reference which schema they should be validated again (ie schema or doctype reference).
- jboss-app.xml has been renamed to jboss-portal-app.xml
- Theming hasn't been moved over to using the microcontainer metadata and deployment
- The structure has changed from a sar with nested deployables to be individual deployables.
- It hasn't been heavily tested and we expect some issues to still remain.