This page contains some notes for project considering migrating to Git.
Some projects that migrated to Git
Notes for projects thinking of migrating to Git.
Step 1 - Check with the proejct teams whether we can handle the move
- We would prefer that projects that want to migrate, migrate on a major revision. This will usually have the least impact on other projects/products.
- Timing of the move must be coordinated with the products, to ensure that there is no disruption to release schedules.
- Project branches that are nearing the end of their support are best left in svn. The location of the others should be negotiated with the relevant teams.
Step 2 - maintain all tags, branches and history
- Github is the preferred location for new Git repositories.
- Make sure you have all your id's in github before migrating as this will give you a cleaner migration.
- The projects are responsible for migrating all tags, branches and history
- https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git has tended to give more successful results than git-svn