Our recent move to git caused some confusion on how we tag/branch components in JBoss Tools core components.
Current Tag/Branching strategy
To avoid future confusion here are the short version of the current approach:
- Each component has its own version in manifest.mf/pom.xml/feature.xml
- This can be set quickly using mvn -Dtycho.mode=maven org.sonatype.tycho:tycho-versions-plugin:set-version -DnewVersion=1.2.3-SNAPSHOT
- The git repositories should use tag/branches based on jbosstools version:
- Branches: jbosstools-<version>x ("x" used to differentiate a branch from a tag)
- Tags: jbosstools-<version> (no "x" suffix)
- In Jira use the jbosstools version for reporting/targeting issues.
The advantage to the above is that git & jira use the same version. i.e. with a unified tag like "jbosstools-4.1.0.Alpha1" you can find which version is used of a specific component for a specific jboss tools release easily.
This means from git you always know which branch/tag to checkout for a component to get matching version to a specific jboss tools core build/release.
With Jira we would need to introduce a project for each individual component since Jira does not support version per components and thus jira queries for knowing current status of JBIDE suddenly gets very complex.
Discussion about improvements/future tagging can be found https://community.jboss.org/wiki/FutureStrategyForTaggingJBossToolsCore