JBoss Tools is made of a lot of plugins coming from different component, and that are aggregated for ease their installation. There are a lot of repositories. This page is intended to explain what are our repositories, what are they aimed to, and where they are coming from:
Here is the general process of the lifecycle of sites in the build.
For each stream (branch or trunk) in progress:
- Mirror requirements and composite specific versions into a single Requirements site
- Build all common stuff (parent, target-platforms). Publish to maven artifacts to JBoss Nexus and update sites to download.jboss.org
- Build each component and publish to download.jboss.org
- A staging composite repository is used to provide a single URL for all components' update sites
- A nightly snapshot is continuously created from the composite site. It contains the latest good build of each component, including categorization & source features/plugins. A test site is also created, containing only test features/plugins.
- After a code-freeze, the nightly snapshot is first staged as a development milestone and passed to QE for validation. Upon approval, it is published to www.jboss.org.
- After several milestone and validation cycles, we publish our best development milestone as a stable release.
The same applies to SOA components. Some additional steps exist to also build JBDS site and products continuously, following the same lifecycle.
Here's a diagram which shows how all the jobs, update sites, and other artifacts co-exist:
Repositories / Update-Sites
Requirements / Target-platfoms sites / Mirrors
These site are mirrors of dependencies of JBoss Tools. They are here to provide more performance and to ensure we have a backup of everything we depend on.
|URL||Name||Profile to activate in build||Performance||When to use it?|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/requirements/<NAME>/<VERSION>/||Individual mirror||Not possible||Good||When you want to install a 3rd-party deps, and you prefer this server|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/<ECLIPSE_RELEASE_TRAIN>/||Composute requirements||Not possible, should be part of Target Platform||Bad||To build extras and target-platform site|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/target-platform_<NAME>/||Target Platform site||By default, as part of the target-platform||Good||Is a mirror of the target platform. It is used whenever you use a .target file.|
|Profile to activate in build||Quality/Stability||Performances||When to use it?|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/<COMPONENT_JOB_NAME>/all/repo/||Component rep||Not possible, use composite instead||Poor||Good||When you really want the latest stuff on a single component without loosing performances|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/core/<BRANCH_NAME>||Composite repo||-P jbosstools-nightly-composite||Poor||Poor||If you want very latest changes|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/jbosstools-<BRANCH_NAME>.aggregate/all/repo/||Aggregated snapshot repo||Not possible, use jbosstools-nightly instead||Poor||Average||NEVER. This is the temporary location of the aggregated site. It gets published to a better location afer|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/core/<BRANCH_NAME>||Aggregated snapshot repo||Currently, use -P jbosstools-staging-aggregate||Poor||Good|
When you want to develop with recent version of dependencies (1 or 2 days ago). Suitable for local testing
NOTE: this is the "work in progress" final site
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/coretests/<BRANCH_NAME>||Aggegated tests||Currently, use -P jbosstools-staging-aggregate||Poor||Good||Contains tests|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/JBossTools-<x.y.z.q>.core/||Milestones||Not possible||Average||Good||Good for testing, evaluating features. Good for community contributors.|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/development/<TARGET_ECLIPSE_RELEASE_TRAIN>/||Latest Milestone||Not possible||Average||Good||Good for testing, and for building stuff on top of JBT that will be released a bit later|
|http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/stable/<TARGET_ECLIPSE_RELEASE_TRAIN>/||Release||Not possible||Good||Good||Good for end-users|
|URL||Name||Profile to activate in build||Quality/Stability||Performance||When to use it?|