11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 4:33 AM by ashok k

EntityManager injection in Webservice

Wolf-Dietrich Rettensteiner Newbie

I want an EntityManager to be injected into my WebService but that does not work:

@WebService
      @SOAPBinding(style = SOAPBinding.Style.RPC)
      @HandlerChain(file = "handler.xml")
      public class DocumentSign
      {
       @PersistenceContext(name = "EF")
       EntityManager em;

@WebResult(name = "signedDocument")
       public byte[] signDocument(@WebParam(name = "document")byte[] data)
       {
       System.out.println("em = " + em);
       //TODO implement signing
       return null;
       }
      }

my web.xml:
      <web-app>
       <servlet>
       <servlet-name>DocumentSignService</servlet-name>
       <servlet-class>foo.DocumentSign</servlet-class>
       </servlet>
       <servlet-mapping>
       <servlet-name>DocumentSignService</servlet-name>
       <url-pattern>/sign/*</url-pattern>
       </servlet-mapping>
      </web-app>

my persistence.xml in WEB-INF/META-INF:
      <persistence-unit name="EF" transaction-type="JTA">
       <jta-data-source>java:/EfDb.tst</jta-data-source>
       <class>at.oekb.wsportal.sapexportfinance.data.EFImportData</class>
       <properties>
       <property name="hibernate.archive.autodetection" value="class"/>
       <property name="hibernate.session_factory_name" value="java:/hibernate/EFSessionFactory"/>
       <property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true"/>
       <property name="hibernate.format_sql" value="true"/>
       <property name="use_sql_comments" value="true"/>
       <property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect"/>
       <property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class" value="org.hibernate.cache.HashtableCacheProvider"/>
       <property name="com.intellij.javaee.persistence.datasource" value="Datasource"/>
       </properties>
       </persistence-unit>

I use jboss-4.2.1.GA.
      The EntityManager is not injected.
      Can anyone help me with this problem?

Best regards,
      Wolf-Dietrich Rettensteiner

• 1. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
          Alessio Soldano Master

AFAIK the injection requires your class to be an EJB.

• 2. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
            Heiko Braun Master

Right, injection only works on EJB endpoints.

• 3. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
              Frode Nilsen Newbie

I have a similar problem.

The interface for the EJB:

package services;

import javax.ejb.Local;

@Local
              public interface TestServiceInterface {
               public String getString();
              }

The EJB itself:
              package services;

import javax.ejb.Stateless;
              import javax.jws.WebMethod;
              import javax.jws.WebService;
              import javax.jws.soap.SOAPBinding;
              import javax.persistence.EntityManager;
              import javax.persistence.PersistenceContext;

@Stateless
              @WebService
              @SOAPBinding(style=SOAPBinding.Style.RPC)
              public class TestService implements TestServiceInterface {

@PersistenceContext
               private EntityManager em;

@WebMethod
               public String getString() {
               System.out.println("em: " + em);
               return "Quite frankly, it gives me the heebie jeebies.";
               }
              }

The web service is defined in my web.xml like this:

<servlet>
               <servlet-name>TestService</servlet-name>
               <servlet-class>services.TestService</servlet-class>
               </servlet>
               <servlet-mapping>
               <servlet-name>TestService</servlet-name>
               <url-pattern>/TestService.ws</url-pattern>
               </servlet-mapping>
              </servlet>

The web service works like it should, but the EntityManager is not injected. System.out.println("em: " + em); in the webmethod always prints a null.

Any clues?

• 4. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                Frode Nilsen Newbie

Sorry - forgot to mention that I use JBoss AS 4.2.0 with JBossWS 2.0.0.

• 5. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                  Richard Opalka Master

Remove the web.xml file. It's not necessary because your webservice is EJB3 not POJO. You can use @WebContext annotation to specify/customize the request binding path

• 6. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                    Frode Nilsen Newbie

Err, it actually turns out that I'm using JBossWS 1.2.1, not 2.0.0..

Regardless, I removed the and <servlet-mapping/> and added the annotation @WebContext(contextRoot="/ws") to the EJB.

The webservice is now deployed at localhost/TestServiceService/TestService. Shouldn't it be localhost/ws/TestService?

• 7. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                      Frode Nilsen Newbie

Please disregard the last post, the angle brackets were messing up.

Err, it actually turns out that I'm using JBossWS 1.2.1, not 2.0.0..

Regardless, I removed the servlet and servlet-mapping from web.xml and added the annotation @WebContext(contextRoot="/ws") to the EJB.

The webservice is now deployed at localhost/TestServiceService/TestService. Shouldn't it be localhost/ws/TestService?

• 8. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                        Frode Nilsen Newbie

I guess I should also add that after I had removed the servlet and servlet mapping, and added the WebContext annotation, calling the web service would cause the following exception:

19:05:06,212 ERROR [SOAPFaultHelperJAXWS] SOAP request exception
                        org.jboss.ws.WSException: Cannot obtain container from Dispatcher: jboss.j2ee:ear=Community.ear,jar=Community-1.0.jar,name=MyService,service=EJB3
                         at org.jboss.ws.integration.jboss42.ServiceEndpointInvokerEJB3.invokeServiceEndpointInstance(ServiceEndpointInvokerEJB3.java:109)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.AbstractServiceEndpointInvoker.invoke(AbstractServiceEndpointInvoker.java:207)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.ServiceEndpoint.processRequest(ServiceEndpoint.java:212)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.ServiceEndpointManager.processRequest(ServiceEndpointManager.java:448)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.doPost(AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.java:114)
                         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.service(AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.java:75)
                         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:179)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
                         at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
                         at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:241)
                         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
                         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:580)
                         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
                         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
                        19:05:06,221 ERROR [SOAPFaultHelperJAXWS] SOAP request exception
                        org.jboss.ws.WSException: Cannot obtain container from Dispatcher: jboss.j2ee:ear=Community.ear,jar=Community-1.0.jar,name=MyService,service=EJB3
                         at org.jboss.ws.integration.jboss42.ServiceEndpointInvokerEJB3.invokeServiceEndpointInstance(ServiceEndpointInvokerEJB3.java:109)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.AbstractServiceEndpointInvoker.invoke(AbstractServiceEndpointInvoker.java:207)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.ServiceEndpoint.processRequest(ServiceEndpoint.java:212)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.ServiceEndpointManager.processRequest(ServiceEndpointManager.java:448)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.doPost(AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.java:114)
                         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
                         at org.jboss.ws.core.server.AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.service(AbstractServiceEndpointServlet.java:75)
                         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:179)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
                         at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
                         at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
                         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
                         at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:241)
                         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
                         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:580)
                         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
                         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Opening the wsdl however, works fine.

• 9. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                          Frode Nilsen Newbie

Are any of the following features limited to JBossWS >=2.0.0?
                          -The @WebContext annotation
                          -Using an EJB as a web service class
                          -Injection of the EntityManager using the @PersistenceContext

When I'm using the @WebContext parameter instead of the servlet and servlet-mapping in web.xml, I get exceptions when calling the web service method. If I instead use the servlet and servlet mapping, injection of the EntityManager wont work.

• 10. Re: EntityManager injection in Webservice
                            Frode Nilsen Newbie

Having stopped being an idiot, I guess I can answer my own questions above.

- Is the @WebContext annotation JBossWS >= 2.0.0 only? No. My problem was that I had imported org.jboss.wsf.spi.annotation.WebContext instead of org.jboss.ws.annotation.WebContext.

- Is using an EJB as a web service class possible in version >=2.0.0 only? No.
                            - Is injection of EntityManager with @PersistenceContext limited to version >=2.0.0? No

Perhaps this can be helpful for someone.