3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2005 7:00 AM by piero

Troubles with table-per-class inheritance

mauburn

I'm trying to implement Hibernate's table-per-concrete class strategy using EJB3.0's TABLE_PER_CLASS inheritance and the latest CVS source code.

This used to work in preview 4, but with the latest source code I don't seem to have the ability to overwrite the @Table attribute on the subclass, and it appears to automagically create a "type" attribute that shouldn't exist.

My base class looks like:

@Entity(access = AccessType.FIELD)
      @Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.TABLE_PER_CLASS)
      public abstract class BaseEntity3<EntityPKType extends PK3> implements java.io.Serializable, Comparable
      {
      @Id(generate = GeneratorType.NONE)
      @Column(name="ID")
      protected long id;

@Version
      @Column(name="VERSION")
      protected long version;
      }

My concrete subclass is:

@Table(name = "Groups")
      public class Group3 extends BaseEntity3<GroupPK3>
      {
      @Column(name="NAME", nullable=false, length=50)
      protected String name;

@Column(name="DESCRIPTION", length=50)
      protected String description;

@ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.EAGER)
      @JoinColumn(name="PREFERENCE_PARENT_ID")
      protected Group3 preferenceParent;
      }

When I do a find on Group3, the SQL looks like:
      select group3x0_.ID as ID, ... from BaseEntity3 group3x0_ where group3x0_.TYPE='com.portblue.model.admin.group.Group3' ...

I've tried putting a @Inheritance tag on the subclass as well as on the superclass, and I get the Hibernate error: org.hibernate.AnnotationException: TABLE_PER_CLASS only allows hierarchy leaf mapping

I also tried putting a union-subclass hibernate mapping in a Group3.hbm.xml file, but then I got a complaint about "duplicate mappings".

Am I missing something? Thanks...

- Mark

• 1. Re: Troubles with table-per-class inheritance
          bill.burke

I'll try to reproduce and fix. I don't like regressing between releases.

Pretty cool/interesting use case though. So interesting in fact, i've forwarded it to the EG for contemplation....

• 2. Re: Troubles with table-per-class inheritance
            mauburn

To give a little more detail: in preview 4, I defined the Group3 class as follows:

@Table(name = "Groups")
            public class Group3 extends BaseEntity3<GroupPK3>

Once I moved to the CVS source code version, I had to remove the @Inheritance tag from Group3 because otherwise I got a Hibernate error on deployment:

2005-03-29 10:31:22,950 ERROR [org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationConfiguration] Could not compile the mapping annotations
            org.hibernate.AnnotationException: TABLE_PER_CLASS only allows hierarchy leaf mapping

The Hibernate error seems rather counterintuitive, given that getting rid of the error requires removing the @INHERITANCE annotation from the leaf class!

I believe that this class structure is pretty generic and useful - probably as more people get used to using Java 5 generics (we just transitioned recently ourselves), more people will want to do things like this...

- Mark

• 3. Re: Troubles with table-per-class inheritance

seems to be a similar problem i ran into - worked fine until i used the cvs version:

@Entity
              public class DBObject implements java.io.Serializable {
              private long id;
              private Date lastChanged;
              private Date created;

i used this base class to define fields which must be present in every class/table:

@Entity
              public class Customer extends DBObject {

with the jboss-head from cvs it doesn't work. the error is:
              TABLE_PER_CLASS only allows hierarchy leaf mapping

is there any way to get around this for now?