2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2002 7:52 PM by jhicks

What can Jboss do for us?

fimbulvetr

I'm trying to checkout Jboss, and other technologies.
      I see Jboss is a server, with some java stuff and other fancy details.
      I currently use php/mysql for everything I do, intranet/extranet/internet, I use perl for scripting and know a little VB and am competent on JS. But I know hardly anything of Java.
      This knowledge is holding me back, I have no idea what this application can do for me, I have tunnel vision and only see php/perl.
      What can I read to learn what this can do for me?
      I know I can install jboss, but that does me no good.
      I know I can watch the presentation and read the glittery statements on the website, but where can I SEE what IT can do for ME?

Please I'm begging people to help me!

• 1. Re: What can Jboss do for us?
          jwkaltz

In my opinion you need to read a little bit first : I suggest the "bible" i.e. "The essential client/server survival guide" by Orfali & Harkley.
          It will give you the perspective you're lacking. By itself nobody can convince you that JBoss is fantastic - it doesn't cure cancer or send space shuttles to mars. It's only if you're in certain perspective, say you want to have reusable enterprise components, that something like JBoss becomes really interesting.

• 2. Re: What can Jboss do for us?
            jhicks

I would suggest getting a good java book and reading the tutorials at sun's website ( see links below ). I would then suggest downloading and reading Mastering Enterprise Java Beans 2nd Edition from The Server Side. If you are into web development, which is sounds like you are, I would also suggest reading Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSP) by Marty Hall. Amazon has a good package deal on Core Servlets and Core Java ( see links below ).

** Remember to write alot of applications while you are reading. This will get you familiar with the Java platform and what IT can do for you. **

By the time you finish reading all of this ( several weeks ) and the jboss website, you will have a good understanding of what JBoss can do for you.
            ** Links **
            Sun Java - java.sun.com
            The Server Side - theserverside.com
            Core Servlets - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130893404/qid%3D1020209936/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/002-6929931-9613620