2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 11:49 AM by birwin

Installed profiler today... Now what?

birwin

I installed the JBoss profiler today. I placed the JARS and properties file in my bin directory and then placed the sar in the deploy directory.

The JBoss Application server appears to have started without any issues.

Now I am looking for documentation regarding where I can view the profiler log. I have no idea what to do at this point. Do I need to install another tool to look at the profile data? Where is the profile data stored?

I am a complete beginner to the profiling world and would appreciate any input.

• 1. Re: Installed profiler today... Now what?
          jesper.pedersen

You need to use the client in order to interact with the profiler.

There are various command that it supports like startProfiler and stopProfiler.

See the README.txt file for details and examples.

• 2. Re: Installed profiler today... Now what?
            birwin

Thanks for you comment. I ran startProfiler yesterday. It ran for about 10 seconds and then it just re-displayed the prompt. As I understand it, the profiler should write a log file that can then be analyzed by something. Honestly, I thought the readme was very conusing to someone who had never profiled an application before.

I am guessing the agent is the piece that runs on the server and will collect method execution time, memory usage, etc...

I am not sure what "Running the example" means from the readme.txt file.

I am assuming "Running the Client" means that it will collect the data the server is spewing out as it runs. The output of the client I am assuming is a file of some sort that can be analyzed by something else or possibly the client itself. I am not sure.

Anyway, as I said before I ran startProfiler and it ended... The server is running with the profiler enabled. Is there some sort of documentation other than the readme.txt for someone who knows nothing about this and needs a clue?