8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 8:38 AM by rhills

Build issue

rhills

Yesterday, when building JBoss Profiler (using the default task), I ran into a problem:

Using ANTRC_PRE.BAT
      Buildfile: build.xml

init:

prepare:

agent:
       [delete] Deleting directory D:\dev\java\jboss\projects\JbossProfiler2\build
       [javac] Compiling 82 source files to D:\dev\java\jboss\projects\JbossProfiler2\build
       [javac] D:\dev\java\jboss\projects\JbossProfiler2\src\main\org\jboss\profiler\agent\AbstractTransformer.java:34: error while writing org.jboss.profiler.agent.AbstractTransformer: D:\dev\java\jboss\projects\JbossProfiler2\build\org\jboss\profiler\agent\AbstractTransformer.class (The system cannot find the path specified)
       [javac] public abstract class AbstractTransformer implements Transformer {
       [javac] ^
       [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
       [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
       [javac] 1 error

I did a "clean" and the problem went away.

Today, after a number of successful builds, I'm getting this problem again. This time it seems persistent, I've tried doing a "clean", followed by "dist" several times, but keep getting the same error. No classes are compiled. I've not changed any java code so I'm not sure why this error was triggered yesterday and why it's started again today.

• 1. Re: Build issue
          rhills

Forgot to mention,

Ant 1.7.0

• 2. Re: Build issue
            jesper.pedersen

Strange - I don't see this problem; and the file hasn't been changed for some time.

I use Ant 1.7.1 and Sun JDK-1.5.0_16...

• 3. Re: Build issue
              rhills

I just upgraded ant to 1.7.1 but the problem persists.

I was using JDK 1.5.0_09 (which is my default for another project) but I've also tried it with JDK 1.6.0_07 - same result each time.

It's very frustrating, and it has me dead in the water ATM.

I'll try the windoze fixall - reboot and try again. Maybe there's something funny going on in my environment somewhere. It's strange that I had the problem yesterday for a short while but have built numerous times since without any problem until recently.

• 4. Re: Build issue
                jesper.pedersen

I have added eol-style=native to the files -- maybe that helps on Windows...

Have you tried with 5.0_16 or 6.0_10 ?

• 5. Re: Build issue
                  rhills

I think it's a problem with windoze and java and file/directory deletion. I'm sure I've seen it in the past. That said, I'm also using Tortoise SVN, so it may be contributing somehow.

The problem went away when I rebooted my notebook. I tend to use "resume" mode a lot as I travel to work by train and I just shut the lid when I get to my station. This afternoon on the way home, the problem happened again. this time I noticed that the "build" directory didn't go away after a "clean". If I manually deleted the "build" directory, there'd be no error, but it wouldn't go away. I tried via both file mangler and via the command line, same result. After rebooting, the "build" directory was gone and the build process worked again.

Anyway, thanks for adding the eol-style, I'll see if it helps. I might also try a different version of java, though I'd prefer to stick with GA releases of 6 where I can.

• 6. Re: Build issue
                    rhills

Actually, there's one other thing that might help. Could you add the svn:ignore property to the "build" and "dist" directories?

If nothing else, it would help reduce clutter when committing files (or creating patches).

• 7. Re: Build issue
                      jesper.pedersen

Done in rev516

• 8. Re: Build issue
                        rhills

Thanks for that. Building cleanly ATM, but I'll reserve my judgement for a day or so!

At least the clutter has gone :-)