3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 9:20 AM by lexsoto

installing/configuring on Mac OSX

lexsoto

Hello,

I'm trying to get the JBoss Profiler working on Mac OSX.
      I'm running JBoss 4.2.2.GA with Java 5.

First, I downloaded the latest release "jboss-profiler-2.0.Beta3.SP1" but could not find the native library anywhere.

I found the native library in the downloaded "jboss-profiler-1.0.CR4.zip" file.
      Is this the one I should be using?

There is no pre-compiled library for Mac OSX so I'm trying to compile it from the sources. After removing windows '\r' characters from the provided compile.sh file I get these errors when compiling the sources:

i686-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: unrecognized option '-shared'
      ../native-src/jbossAgent.cpp:1: warning: -fpic is not supported; -fPIC assumed
      ../native-src/jbossAgentJNI.cpp:1: warning: -fpic is not supported; -fPIC assumed
      ../native-src/jbossAgentUtilities.cpp:1: warning: -fpic is not supported; -fPIC assumed
      /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libstdc++.dylib load command 8 unknown cmd field
      /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
      /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6 (__TEXT,__literal16) in load command 0
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Has anybody done what I'm attempting?
      Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Alex Soto

• 1. Re: installing/configuring on Mac OSX
          jesper.pedersen

There isn't any native for JBoss Profiler 2.0 yet. It is a 100% pure Java profiler currently.

See the README.txt on which options you need to pass to JAVA_OPT and remember to copy javassist.jar to the bin/ directory.

As for JBoss Profiler 1.x -- you need to look into why -shared isn't working on your machine.

HTH

• 2. Re: installing/configuring on Mac OSX
            lexsoto

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I'm still lost trying to follow the instructions. This is what the README.txt says:

* Edit run.conf (Unix) or run.bat (Windows) in jbossas/bin to include JBoss Profiler in JAVA_OPTS

What exactly does this means?
            What do I add to JAVA_OPTS?

Thanks,
            -Alex Soto

• 3. Re: installing/configuring on Mac OSX
              lexsoto

In case others have the same problem. The "run.conf" needs to be modified by adding the line:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -javaagent:jboss-profiler.jar -Djboss-profiler.properties=jboss-profiler.properties"

For whatever is worth, I have to say the documentation is very confusing. I would suggest separating the instructions about how to setup/run in stand alone mode from the instructions about running embedded in the Application Server.

The step-by-step instructions under section "Deployment in JBoss Application Server" are not complete. The information about how to modify JAVA_OPTS is actually found towards the end of the file in a different section "Running the agent", yet I could not "move" to the next step in the instructions because of the missing information.

Thanks,
              Alex