2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 5:09 AM by beve

Logging of Exceptions in ActionProcessingPipeline

beve

Currently, if an exception if thrown from an action in the action pipeline it will be logged with a debug level to server.log. If there is no fault to you might simply get something like this in the server console:

10:16:30,448 WARN [ActionProcessingPipeline] No fault address defined for fault message! To: JMSEpr [ PortReference < <wsa:Address j...

I find it useful to have the exception logged to the console at an error level as well which makes testing much easier and faster as you don't need to look through the server.log which is filled up with other perhaps unrelated log statements.

I'm suggesting that we add the following to the ActionProcessingPipeline:
      else if (!throwRuntime)
      {
       LOGGER.error("Exception caught while processing the action pipeline: ", ex);
       faultTo(callDetails, Factory.createErrorMessage(Factory.UNEXPECTED_ERROR, message, ex));
      }

This will not log the message header but this is not always that useful, at least I don't find it useful and if I need to inspect it I can look in the server.log.

While I'm on the subject of logging I really don't like that by default our jbossesb-server is configured with log level of debug for most packages if not all. I'd much rather have error or info logging as the default and let user configure what ever they want. This would in my opinion improve the users experience.

Any thoughts on this?

/Daniel

• 1. Re: Logging of Exceptions in ActionProcessingPipeline
          kconner

Exceptions on the console are generally too verbose and we have, in the past, made a concerted effort to reduce this. This is happening in other projects as well, not just ours.

These exceptions need to stay at DEBUG so that they are not visible on the console.

Kev

• 2. Re: Logging of Exceptions in ActionProcessingPipeline
            beve

Exceptions on the console are generally too verbose and we have, in the past, made a concerted effort to reduce this. This is happening in other projects as well, not just ours.

OK, that is reasonable.

Can we at least do something about the default logging in the ESB Server that we ship. The amount of logging from jbpm and hibernate really floods the log file. Using a tool like tail on server.log does not work that great at the moment.