3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2007 6:49 PM by chrismalan

How can I use a EJB Query with this?

I am wondering how to effectively use an EJB query in the following situation.

I have 2 tables. Each table has a corresponding @Entity java class.

TableA
      ---------
      int tableAPrimaryKey
      varchar(20) tableAField
      ...etc, plus many more fields

TableB
      ---------
      int tableBPrimaryKey
      int tableAForeignKey
      varchar(20) tableBField
      ...etc, plus many more fields

I would like to run a query that gets each row from Table A, and a count from Table B (dependant on tableAForeignKey). So for each row my html output would look something like this:
      "tableAField1", "tableAField2", "tableBCount"

Using EJB, I can get each row of TableA by running:
       Query q = em.createQuery("from TableA o ");
       return q.getResultList();

Using EJB, I can get a count for each row of TableA from TableB
      Query q = em.createQuery(
       "select count(o) " +
       "from TableB o " +
       "where o.tableAForeignKey = :currentRow"
      );

Is there a better way to do this using EJB? Looping through each result of Table A and executing a count query seems pretty inefficient.

The correct way seems to be to create a native query and manually build all these objects. This is extremely tedious as there are a lot of columns in both tables that are needed.

Are there any suggestions of a better way to do this using EJB?

• 1. Re: How can I use a EJB Query with this?

Also, if I did it the EJB way that I showed in my previous post, that would require me to create an

@Transient int count
          in MyTableA's java file to store the count.

Also, what if I wanted to sort the results by the count? This would require a lot more work instead of a simple order by clause.

Is there a better way to restructure the Entity classes? Is there a better way to nest EJB queries?

• 2. Re: How can I use a EJB Query with this?

Maybe I should create a view in the database and create a POJO from that?

I'm thinking that would be my best bet.

• 3. Re: How can I use a EJB Query with this?
              chrismalan

Hi Dornus,

There are two solutions I can think of. The first side-steps an EJB query.

One of class A's attributes will be a collections of some sort of class B. Simply get an instance of class A by primary key, get an instance of the collection of Bs and do a bees.size().

The second is to do a join. Something like select ab from A as a join a.b as ab where a.PrimaryKey=PK and then again a size() on ab.