5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2006 1:28 PM by bill.burke

Interceptor Performance

redijedi

Is it just me, or is the performance of ejb3 interceptors very poor? I added a simple interceptor to read annotations on an slsb and based on the value in the annotation decide if the invocation could continue or not. Mind you, there is no db interaction at this point. The calls in worst case scenarios were over a second. I removed the interceptors and they dropped down to more reasonable 300ms and below (even 300 is pretty high, ejb3 is suspicious...profiling will tell me more later). So far, this simple interceptor has meant the difference.

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

• 1. Re: Interceptor Performance
          kabirkhan

Are you reading the annotation for every invocation? Bear in mind that the interceptor instances have the same lifecycle as the bean instance they are applied to, so this data can be cached.

• 2. Re: Interceptor Performance
            bill.burke

Is it just me, or is the performance of ejb3 interceptors very poor?

Is it me, or are you negative about everything?

We have done ZERO profiling. There's probably a bunch of things we can optimize.

• 3. Re: Interceptor Performance
              redijedi

LOL. I just want to know if this is a known issue. It is a big one for us, as it pushed back a release that we are working on at my company. The application (ejb3 based) will not scale. Requests via 50 simultaneous users were taking in excess of 20 seconds - some as long as 45! We do have more profiling to do. I'll definately keep this forum updated, but the sql is very fast and the code is straight forward. I suspect it is something in ejb3 that is highly non-scalable. Right now, I'm hoping it's something as simple as the interceptors.

• 4. Re: Interceptor Performance
                slaboure

"bill.burke@jboss.com" wrote:

Is it just me, or is the performance of ejb3 interceptors very poor?

We have done ZERO profiling. There's probably a bunch of things we can optimize.

LOL, what's up Bill, not in a good mood this morning? ;)

• 5. Re: Interceptor Performance
                  bill.burke

If you can pinpoint the issues and post them as Jira tasks, I'll see what I can do for the next release. I find it odd that interceptors aren't scalable. Its probably something really really stupid.