5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2007 11:09 PM by alllle

Not able to create durable subscription in MDB

alllle

I am using JBoss 4.04GA SP2 and JBoss Messaging 1.0.2SP2.

I want to create a MDB in EJB3 that creates durable subscription to a topic. Since the topic requires a valid user/pass, EJB3 annotation along was not sufficient. I therefore, created the ejb-jar.xml and jboss.xml file that are packaged with my Jar file, which is deployed inside an EAR.

I got the following error when deploying the EAR:

17:48:46,234 WARN mdb.MDB - JMS provider failure detected:
      javax.jms.JMSException: Cannot create durable subscriber without a valid client ID
       at org.jboss.jms.server.endpoint.ServerSessionEndpoint.createConsumerDelegate(ServerSessionE
      ndpoint.java:190)
       at org.jboss.jms.server.endpoint.advised.SessionAdvised.org$jboss$jms$server$endpoint$advise
      d$SessionAdvised$createConsumerDelegate$aop(SessionAdvised.java:90)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
       at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:112)

But I have already put in the client id as well as the subscription id in the jboss.xml file. Here is the content:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <!DOCTYPE jboss PUBLIC
       "-//JBoss//DTD JBOSS 4.0//EN"
       "http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/dtd/jboss_4_0.dtd">
      <jboss>
       <enterprise-beans>
       <message-driven>
       <ejb-name>notificationMDB</ejb-name>
       <destination-jndi-name>topic/Update</destination-jndi-name>
       <mdb-user>user</mdb-user>
       <mdb-passwd>pass</mdb-passwd>
       <mdb-client-id>MyDurableSub</mdb-client-id>
       <mdb-subscription-id>mdb</mdb-subscription-id>
       <configuration-name>Standard Message Driven Bean</configuration-name>
       </message-driven>
       </enterprise-beans>
      </jboss>

And the ejb-jar.xml file:
      <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>

<ejb-jar>
       <enterprise-beans>
       <message-driven>
       <ejb-name>notificationMDB</ejb-name>
       <ejb-class>com.company.ejb.NotificationMDB</ejb-class>
       <transaction-type>Container</transaction-type>
       <acknowledge-mode>Auto-acknowledge</acknowledge-mode>
       <message-driven-destination>
       <destination-type>javax.jms.Topic</destination-type>
       <subscription-durability>Durable</subscription-durability>
       </message-driven-destination>
       </message-driven>
       </enterprise-beans>
      </ejb-jar>

I've also stripped out all EJB3 annotations from the NotificationMDB class. When debug into the JBoss code, the code where the error was thrown is:
      String clientID = connectionEndpoint.getClientID();
       if (clientID == null)
       {
       throw new JMSException("Cannot create durable subscriber without a valid client ID");
       }

subscription = cm.getDurableSubscription(clientID, subscriptionName, ms, pm, mm);

because the clientID is null. Inspecting the stack tree, I saw the mdb-user and mdb-password are read correctly. I don't know where the client-id and subscription-id are stored. The value of the subscriptionName passed into the above method is set to string "subscriptionName".

Can anyone help? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Not able to create durable subscription in MDB
          alllle

Alright, after many many hours of digging around, I found out the JBoss extension of the EJB3 MDB annotations from wiki. I cleared the jboss.xml and ejb-jar.xml file and used only the EJB3 annotations. My MDB now looks like:

@MessageDriven(name = "notificationMDB", activationConfig = {
           @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destinationType", propertyValue = "javax.jms.Topic"),
           @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destination", propertyValue = "topic/notificationTopic"),
           @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "user", propertyValue = "user"),
           @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "password", propertyValue = "pass"),
           @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "noLocal", propertyValue = "true") })
          @ResourceAdapter("jms-ra.rar")
          public class NotificationMDB extends BaseServiceBean implements MessageListener {

public void onMessage(Message message) {
           System.out.println(message.toString());
           }

}

As you can see, I didn't configure it as Durable to test it out. It deployed fine without error, and it received a message okay. But then it gives out a nasty error:
          13:39:30,290 WARN connectionmanager.SimpleConnectionManager - A problem has been detected with the
          connection to remote client 4co2mt-vld24e-exm5wy4h-1-exm5xes0-5. It is possible the client has exite
          d without closing its connection(s) or there is a network problem. All connection resources correspo
          nding to that client process will now be removed.
          13:39:30,300 ERROR util.ExceptionUtil - ConsumerEndpoint[-2147483628] close [4co2mt-vld24e-exm5wy4h-
          1-exm5yc1o-o]
          java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to obtain lock
           at org.jboss.messaging.core.local.PointToMultipointRouter.remove(PointToMultipointRouter.jav
          a:166)
           at org.jboss.messaging.core.local.Topic.remove(Topic.java:126)
           at org.jboss.messaging.core.local.CoreSubscription.disconnect(CoreSubscription.java:111)
           at org.jboss.jms.server.endpoint.ServerConsumerEndpoint.close(ServerConsumerEndpoint.java:36
          0)
           at org.jboss.jms.server.endpoint.ServerConsumerEndpoint.remove(ServerConsumerEndpoint.java:5
          43)
           at org.jboss.jms.server.endpoint.ServerSessionEndpoint.close(ServerSessionEndpoint.java:403)

at org.jboss.jms.server.endpoint.ServerConnectionEndpoint.close(ServerConnectionEndpoint.jav
          a:300)
           at org.jboss.jms.server.connectionmanager.SimpleConnectionManager.handleClientFailure(Simple
          ConnectionManager.java:158)
           at org.jboss.jms.server.connectionmanager.SimpleConnectionManager.handleConnectionException(
          SimpleConnectionManager.java:208)
           at org.jboss.remoting.ConnectionNotifier.connectionLost(ConnectionNotifier.java:46)
           at org.jboss.remoting.Lease$LeaseTimerTask.execute(Lease.java:133)
           at org.jboss.util.TimerQueue$TimerTaskLoop.run(TimerQueue.java:181)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
          Caused by: java.lang.InterruptedException
           at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.WriterPreferenceReadWriteLock$WriterLock.acquire(WriterP
          referenceReadWriteLock.java:234)
           at org.jboss.messaging.core.local.PointToMultipointRouter.remove(PointToMultipointRouter.jav
          a:161)
           ... 12 more

From that point on, the messages are not delivered to the MDB anymore. It looks like a connection not closed problem, but it is out of my control as it is a MDB, I don't create a connection in my code.

I always feeled that JBoss' products are very solid. But a easy MDB deployment is taking me days and still no clue. Very frustrated.

Another thing is, I looked into the source code of SimpleConnectionManager, and it is a very short class. It apparently does not have a line 208. Seems that the source code in the download is not the one been compiled?

• 2. Re: Not able to create durable subscription in MDB
            weston.price

Hey,
            Sorry you are struggling. What might be best is to move this over to the JBossMessaging forum as it clearly is a messaging case at this point and not EJB(X).

• 3. Re: Not able to create durable subscription in MDB
              alllle

You are right, it started as EJB3 question, but now is a messaging problem. Thanks for pointing it out.

• 4. Re: Not able to create durable subscription in MDB
                weston.price

Not a problem. I just want to make sure it gets the right coverage.

• 5. Re: Not able to create durable subscription in MDB
                  alllle