12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 4:50 AM by fuchs

Client calls Timer only once

fuchs

Hello.
      I am using JBoss 5.0.1.GA.
      I need to build a TimerService with EJB3.
      Therefor, I am using the Tutorial, which can be found under the documentation of EJB3.
      After some changes the Timer-Tutorial is running.

Now, the Server-Methode should be called every fifth sec.
      In my Application it is only once called.

Here my code for the Client:

package ejb.timer.createbill;

import java.util.Properties;
      import javax.naming.Context;
      import javax.naming.InitialContext;
      import javax.naming.NamingException;
      import javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject;

public class Client
      {
       public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception
       {
       System.out.println("HELLO FROM CLIENT !");

try {
       Properties p = new Properties();
       p.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
       p.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
       p.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jnp://localhost:1099");
       Context ctx = new InitialContext(p);

Object ref = ctx.lookup("TimerBean/remote");
       ExampleTimer cbr =(ExampleTimer) PortableRemoteObject.narrow(ref, ExampleTimer.class);
       cbr.scheduleTimer(1000);

} catch (NamingException e){
       e.printStackTrace();
       }
       }
      }

I also add the following Argument to the Client Application:
      Djava.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.cosnaming.CNCtxFactory

Can someone help me?
      Thx!

• 1. Re: Client calls Timer only once
          jaikiran

"Fuchs" wrote:

After some changes the Timer-Tutorial is running.

What changes did you do? The tutorials should not require any changes (maybe just the JBOSS_HOME stuff) to run correctly. So let us know of the changes you did, so that we can fix them (if they are some bugs) accordingly.

"Fuchs" wrote:

Can you post the logs on the console from both the client and server side? Please do *not* post the server.log. Just the console log should be fine.

"Fuchs" wrote:

I also add the following Argument to the Client Application:
          Djava.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.cosnaming.CNCtxFactory

That shouldn't be added. Any specific reason you are adding that?

• 2. Re: Client calls Timer only once
            fuchs

Excuse that I have not explained my post enough.
            Now, I want to make up this.

build.xml:
            The build.xml script generates an *.ejbjar file which is not deployed by my jboss 5.0.1.GA default server. So I changed the build-script to make a *.jar file.
            I also changed the directories, where EJB is found, from "/server/default/deploy/ejb3.deployer" to "/server/default/deployers/ejb3.deployer".
            The path to "jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer", I changed to "/server/default/deployers/jboss-aop-jboss5.deployer".
            That was all what I changed on the server-side.

Client.java:
            The client.java in the tutorial looks like this:

InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
            ExampleTimer timer = (ExampleTimer) ctx.lookup(ExampleTimer.class.getName());
            timer.scheduleTimer(5000);

It use a "jndi.properties" which looks like this:
            java.naming.factory.initial=org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory
            java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces
            java.naming.provider.url=localhost

With this Configuration, I get the following exception:
            com.sun.corba.se.impl.transport.SocketOrChannelConnectionImpl <init>
             WARNUNG: "IOP00410201: (COMM_FAILURE) Connection failure: socketType: IIOP_CLEAR_TEXT; hostname: xxx.xx.xx.xxx; port: 900"
             org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: vmcid: SUN minor code: 201 completed: No
             Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

900 is the wrong port, so I implemented the following in the client.java:
            try {
             Properties p = new Properties();
             p.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
             p.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
             p.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jnp://localhost:1099");
             Context ctx = new InitialContext(p);
             Object ref = ctx.lookup("TimerBean/remote");
             ExampleTimer cbr =(ExampleTimer) PortableRemoteObject.narrow(ref, ExampleTimer.class);
             cbr.scheduleTimer(5000);

} catch (NamingException e){
             e.printStackTrace();
            }

The next exception was:
            javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Cannot instantiate class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory [Root exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory]
             Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory

After I added the jbossall-client.jar it deployed.

I could not reproduce why I added these arguments (-Djava.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.cosnaming.CNCtxFactory), so I removed them.

Client-Console:
            HELLO FROM CLIENT !
            log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.jnp.interfaces.TimedSocketFactory).
            log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

Server-Console:
            Jboss start
            10:58:20,775 INFO [JndiSessionRegistrarBase] Binding the following Entries in G
            lobal JNDI:

SecureDeploymentManager/remote - EJB3.x Default Remote Business Interfac
            e
             SecureDeploymentManager/remote-org.jboss.deployers.spi.management.deploy
            .DeploymentManager - EJB3.x Remote Business Interface

10:58:20,934 INFO [SessionSpecContainer] Starting jboss.j2ee:jar=profileservice
            -secured.jar,name=SecureManagementView,service=EJB3
            10:58:20,934 INFO [EJBContainer] STARTED EJB: org.jboss.profileservice.ejb.Secu
            reManagementView ejbName: SecureManagementView
            10:58:20,966 INFO [JndiSessionRegistrarBase] Binding the following Entries in G
            lobal JNDI:

SecureManagementView/remote - EJB3.x Default Remote Business Interface
             SecureManagementView/remote-org.jboss.deployers.spi.management.Managemen
            tView - EJB3.x Remote Business Interface

10:58:21,156 INFO [SessionSpecContainer] Starting jboss.j2ee:jar=profileservice
            -secured.jar,name=SecureProfileService,service=EJB3
            10:58:21,156 INFO [EJBContainer] STARTED EJB: org.jboss.profileservice.ejb.Secu
            reProfileServiceBean ejbName: SecureProfileService
            10:58:21,204 INFO [JndiSessionRegistrarBase] Binding the following Entries in G
            lobal JNDI:

SecureProfileService/remote - EJB3.x Default Remote Business Interface
             SecureProfileService/remote-org.jboss.profileservice.spi.ProfileService
            - EJB3.x Remote Business Interface

10:58:21,744 INFO [TomcatDeployment] deploy, ctxPath=/admin-console
            10:58:22,649 INFO [config] Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/
            admin-console'
            10:58:29,398 INFO [TomcatDeployment] deploy, ctxPath=/
            10:58:29,763 INFO [TomcatDeployment] deploy, ctxPath=/jmx-console
            10:58:30,001 INFO [Http11Protocol] Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-127.0.0.1-8
            10:58:30,112 INFO [AjpProtocol] Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-127.0.0.1-8009
            10:58:30,128 INFO [ServerImpl] JBoss (Microcontainer) [5.1.0.GA (build: SVNTag=
            JBoss_5_1_0_GA date=200905221053)] Started in 1m:55s:949ms

After deploy:
            11:01:13,169 INFO [Ejb3DependenciesDeployer] Encountered deployment AbstractVFS
            DeploymentContext@16634496{vfszip:/D:/server/exp-server/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/de
            fault/deploy/tutorial.jar/}
            11:01:13,201 INFO [Ejb3DependenciesDeployer] Encountered deployment AbstractVFS
            DeploymentContext@16634496{vfszip:/D:/server/exp-server/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/de
            fault/deploy/tutorial.jar/}
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] Created KernelDeployment for: tutorial.jar
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] installing bean: jboss.j2ee:jar=tutorial.jar,
            name=TimerBean,service=EJB3
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] with dependencies:
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] and demands:
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] jboss.ejb:service=EJBTimerService
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] and supplies:
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] jndi:TimerBean/remote
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] jndi:TimerBean/remote-ejb.timer.createbi
            ll.ExampleTimer
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] Class:ejb.timer.createbill.ExampleTimer
            11:01:13,421 INFO [JBossASKernel] Added bean(jboss.j2ee:jar=tutorial.jar,name=T
            imerBean,service=EJB3) to KernelDeployment of: tutorial.jar
            11:01:13,421 INFO [EJB3EndpointDeployer] Deploy AbstractBeanMetaData@150f2ec{na
            me=jboss.j2ee:jar=tutorial.jar,name=TimerBean,service=EJB3_endpoint bean=org.jbo
            ss.ejb3.endpoint.deployers.impl.EndpointImpl properties=[container] constructor=
            null autowireCandidate=true}
            11:01:13,499 INFO [SessionSpecContainer] Starting jboss.j2ee:jar=tutorial.jar,n
            ame=TimerBean,service=EJB3
            11:01:13,499 INFO [EJBContainer] STARTED EJB: ejb.timer.createbill.TimerBean ej
            bName: TimerBean
            11:01:13,515 INFO [JndiSessionRegistrarBase] Binding the following Entries in G
            lobal JNDI:

TimerBean/remote - EJB3.x Default Remote Business Interface
             TimerBean/remote-ejb.timer.createbill.ExampleTimer - EJB3.x Remote Busin
            ess Interface

After start
            11:13:50,323 WARN [InterceptorsFactory] EJBTHREE-1246: Do not use InterceptorsF
            actory with a ManagedObjectAdvisor, InterceptorRegistry should be used via the b
            ean container
            11:13:50,323 WARN [InterceptorsFactory] EJBTHREE-1246: Do not use InterceptorsF
            actory with a ManagedObjectAdvisor, InterceptorRegistry should be used via the b
            ean container
            11:13:55,497 INFO [STDOUT] ---------------------
            11:13:55,497 INFO [STDOUT] * Received Timer event: Hello World
            11:13:55,497 INFO [STDOUT] ---------------------

But the receiving of the timer event appears only once.

• 3. Re: Client calls Timer only once
              jaikiran

"Fuchs" wrote:

build.xml:
              The build.xml script generates an *.ejbjar file which is not deployed by my jboss 5.0.1.GA default server. So I changed the build-script to make a *.jar file.
              I also changed the directories, where EJB is found, from "/server/default/deploy/ejb3.deployer" to "/server/default/deployers/ejb3.deployer".
              The path to "jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer", I changed to "/server/default/deployers/jboss-aop-jboss5.deployer".
              That was all what I changed on the server-side.

Could you point us to the URL of the tutorial you are referring to? I have a feeling that you are running the 4.x tutorials against AS-5.x. The build.xml for the latest tutorials targeted against AS-5.x, which are available here http://www.jboss.org/ejb3/docs/, has no references to any of the files you mentioned.

• 4. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                jaikiran

11:01:13,499 INFO [EJBContainer] STARTED EJB: ejb.timer.createbill.TimerBean ejbName: TimerBean

You definitely are running AS-4.x tutorials against AS-5 :) The new EJB3 tutorials for AS-5 are available at the link that i posted in my previous reply.

• 5. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                  fuchs

Thanks! thats correct, I used the old example.
                  This explains why I had to change so much things. :-).

But now, if I use the timer-example for jboss 5, the result is the same:

16:52:33,365 INFO [Ejb3DependenciesDeployer] Encountered deployment AbstractVFS
                  DeploymentContext@5005412{vfszip:/D:/server/exp-server/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/def
                  ault/deploy/jboss-ejb3-tutorial-timer.jar/}
                  16:52:33,381 INFO [Ejb3DependenciesDeployer] Encountered deployment AbstractVFS
                  DeploymentContext@5005412{vfszip:/D:/server/exp-server/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/def
                  ault/deploy/jboss-ejb3-tutorial-timer.jar/}
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] Created KernelDeployment for: jboss-ejb3-tuto
                  rial-timer.jar
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] installing bean: jboss.j2ee:jar=jboss-ejb3-tu
                  torial-timer.jar,name=ExampleTimerBean,service=EJB3
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] with dependencies:
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] and demands:
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] jboss.ejb:service=EJBTimerService
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] and supplies:
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] Class:jboss5ejb3.timer.bean.ExampleTimer

16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] jndi:ExampleTimerBean/remote-jboss5ejb3.
                  timer.bean.ExampleTimer
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] jndi:ExampleTimerBean/remote
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [JBossASKernel] Added bean(jboss.j2ee:jar=jboss-ejb3-tutorial
                  -timer.jar,name=ExampleTimerBean,service=EJB3) to KernelDeployment of: jboss-ejb
                  3-tutorial-timer.jar
                  16:52:33,725 INFO [EJB3EndpointDeployer] Deploy AbstractBeanMetaData@1d3da65{na
                  me=jboss.j2ee:jar=jboss-ejb3-tutorial-timer.jar,name=ExampleTimerBean,service=EJ
                  B3_endpoint bean=org.jboss.ejb3.endpoint.deployers.impl.EndpointImpl properties=
                  [container] constructor=null autowireCandidate=true}
                  16:52:33,787 INFO [SessionSpecContainer] Starting jboss.j2ee:jar=jboss-ejb3-tut
                  orial-timer.jar,name=ExampleTimerBean,service=EJB3
                  16:52:33,803 INFO [EJBContainer] STARTED EJB: jboss5ejb3.timer.bean.ExampleTime
                  rBean ejbName: ExampleTimerBean
                  16:52:33,803 INFO [JndiSessionRegistrarBase] Binding the following Entries in G
                  lobal JNDI:

ExampleTimerBean/remote - EJB3.x Default Remote Business Interface
                   ExampleTimerBean/remote-jboss5ejb3.timer.bean.ExampleTimer - EJB3.x Remo
                  te Business Interface

16:52:40,068 WARN [InterceptorsFactory] EJBTHREE-1246: Do not use InterceptorsF
                  ean container
                  16:52:40,068 WARN [InterceptorsFactory] EJBTHREE-1246: Do not use InterceptorsF
                  ean container
                  16:52:40,381 INFO [STDOUT] ---------------------
                  16:52:40,381 INFO [STDOUT] Created a timer event to be triggered after 5000 mil
                  li seconds
                  16:52:40,381 INFO [STDOUT] ---------------------
                  16:52:45,115 INFO [STDOUT] ---------------------
                  16:52:45,115 INFO [STDOUT] * Received Timer event: Hello World
                  16:52:45,115 INFO [STDOUT] ---------------------

Do I have to add additional things to the Jboss, like special libraries ?

• 6. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                    jaikiran

Now that we know you are looking at the correct examples, let's look into the details :)

"Fuchs" wrote:

If you look at the bean implementation http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/ejb3/trunk/docs/tutorial/timer/src/org/jboss/tutorial/timer/bean/ExampleTimerBean.java, we are calling the createTimer with 2 arguments:

ctx.getTimerService().createTimer(new Date(new Date().getTime() + milliseconds), "Hello World");

This will create a timer which is scheduled to be triggered at the specified time, only once. If you want it to repeat every x milli seconds, then you will have to use the overloaded method which accepts 3 arguments http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/javax/ejb/TimerService.html#createTimer(java.util.Date,%20long,%20java.io.Serializable)

• 7. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                      fuchs

Thank you jaikiran!

• 8. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                        fuchs

after i deploying my application i get this error from the java console:

[java] Exception in thread "main" javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: CustomerArchivTimerBean not bound
                         [java] at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:529)
                         [java] at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:537)
                         [java] at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getObject(NamingServer.java:543)
                         [java] at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.lookup(NamingServer.java:267)
                         [java] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                         [java] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                         [java] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                         [java] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
                         [java] at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
                         [java] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
                         [java] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
                         [java] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteCall.java:255)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:233)
                         [java] at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:142)
                         [java] at org.jnp.server.NamingServer_Stub.lookup(Unknown Source)
                         [java] at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:667)
                         [java] at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:627)
                         [java] at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
                         [java] at ejb3.timer.client.CustomerArchivClient.testClusterScheduleIntervalTimer(CustomerArchivClient.java:22)
                         [java] at ejb3.timer.client.CustomerArchivClient.main(CustomerArchivClient.java:15)
                         [java] Java Result: 1

The JBoss console says:
                        ObjectName: jboss.j2ee:jar=customerTimer.ejb3,name=CustomerArchivTimerBean,service=EJB3
                         State: FAILED
                         Reason: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ejb3.timer.bean.CustomerArchivTimerBean is not an interface

in the jboss web-console the ejb3-service CustomerArchivTimerBean is registered. i am confused why the Bean isnt found.

is there anyone who has an idea what i am doing wrong this time, or what the exception mean?

• 9. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                          jaikiran

Your bean is not deployed because of this error:

Reason: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ejb3.timer.bean.CustomerArchivTimerBean is not an interface

What does your bean class and its interfaces look like, including the annotations?

• 10. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                            fuchs

The Bean class:

@Stateless
                            @Remote (CustomerArchivTimerBean.class)
                            public class CustomerArchivTimerBean implements CustomerArchivTimerProxy
                            {
                             private @Resource SessionContext ctx;

public void scheduleTimer(Date expiration, Serializable info)
                             {
                             System.out.println("Create single action timer [info=" + info + "]");
                             ctx.getTimerService().createTimer(expiration, info);
                             }

public void scheduleTimer(long initialDuration, long intervalDuration, Serializable info)
                             {
                             System.out.println("Create initial+interval timer [info=" + info + "]");
                             ctx.getTimerService().createTimer(initialDuration, intervalDuration, info);
                             }

public void cancelTimer(Serializable info)
                             {
                             System.out.println("Cancel timer [info=" + info + "]");
                             Collection<Timer> timers = ctx.getTimerService().getTimers();
                             for (Timer timer : timers)
                             {
                             if (timer.getInfo().equals(info))
                             {
                             System.out.println("Timer[info=" + info + "] found, cancelling...");
                             timer.cancel();
                             System.out.println("Timer[info=" + info + "] cancelled");
                             }
                             }

}

@Timeout
                             public void timeoutHandler(Timer timer) throws Exception
                             {
                             System.out.println("Received timer event: " + timer.getInfo());
                             Date date = new Date(System.currentTimeMillis());
                             System.out.println("Current time is: " + date + ", origin: timeoutHandler");
                             cancelTimer("CustomerArchivTimer");
                             }

}

The interface of the Bean:
                            public interface CustomerArchivTimerProxy
                            {

public void scheduleTimer(Date expiration, Serializable info);

public void scheduleTimer(long initialDuration, long intervalDuration, Serializable info);

public void cancelTimer(Serializable info);

public void timeoutHandler(Timer timer) throws Exception;

}

The client methods are:
                             public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception
                             {

testClusterScheduleIntervalTimer();
                             System.out.println("Timer scheduled to trigger after 10 seconds");
                             }

public static void testClusterScheduleIntervalTimer() throws Exception
                             {
                             InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
                             CustomerArchivTimerProxy timer = (CustomerArchivTimerProxy) ctx.lookup("CustomerArchivTimerBean/remote");
                             timer.scheduleTimer(10000, 5000, "CustomerArchivTimer");
                             }

The jndi properties:
                            java.naming.factory.initial=org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory
                            java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces
                            java.naming.provider.url=localhost

• 11. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                              wolfgangknauf

Hi,

@Remote (CustomerArchivTimerBean.class)
                              should be
                              @Remote (CustomerArchivTimerProxy.class)

But you could place the annotation also on the remote interface itself, without any attributes:
                              @Remote
                              public interface CustomerArchivTimerProxy
                              {

Best regards

Wolfgang

• 12. Re: Client calls Timer only once
                                fuchs

An easy one, thanks. The problem ist solved!