3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2007 4:17 PM by glad01

Socket closed exception

Running a web service on JBoss-4.2.1.GA with messaging-1.3. The OS is windows XP and server2003. The server loops on this exception and fills up the logs.
      I tried remoting-2.2.2.sp1.patch01-brew on Jboss-4.2.1 and JBoss-4.2.2 with the same results.
      The exception does not appear under load, but at a slower pace (single thread one second apart).

2007-10-05 14:30:47,735 ERROR [org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker] (AcceptorThread#0:4457:) SocketServerInvoker[127.0.0.1:4457] failed to handle socket
      java.net.SocketException: socket closed
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Native Method)
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:384)
      at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:450)
      at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:421)
      at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker.run(SocketServerInvoker.java:520)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
      2007-10-05 14:30:47,735 ERROR [org.jboss.remoting.transport.bisocket.BisocketServerInvoker] (secondaryServerSocketThread:) Failed to accept socket connection
      at org.jboss.remoting.transport.bisocket.BisocketServerInvoker$SecondaryServerSocketThread.run(BisocketServerInvoker.java:889)
      2007-10-05 14:30:47,735 ERROR [org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker] (AcceptorThread#0:3873:) SocketServerInvoker[127.0.0.1:3873] failed to handle socket
      at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker.run(SocketServerInvoker.java:520)
      2007-10-05 14:30:47,735 ERROR [org.jboss.invocation.pooled.server.PooledInvoker] (PooledInvokerAcceptor#0-4616:) Failed to accept socket connection
      at org.jboss.invocation.pooled.server.PooledInvoker.run(PooledInvoker.java:262)
      2007-10-05 14:30:47,782 ERROR [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint] (ajp-127.0.0.1-39845-Acceptor-0:) Socket accept failed
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:61)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)

• 1. Re: Socket closed exception
          ron_sigal

This is an strange phenomenon. You've got sockets and server sockets shutting down in four different places:

1. Remoting worker thread
          2. Remoting bisocket SecondaryServerSocketThread
          3. PooledInvoker
          4. tomcat.

Whatever is going on is clearly independent of Remoting, since the latter two systems aren't part of Remoting.

I really don't know what's going on, so I'm going to make a couple of suggestions.

1. Talk to a system or network administrator - maybe they'll have an idea.

2. Post the question in the tomcat forum: "Tomcat, HTTPD, Servlets & JSP" (http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewforum&f=50). Maybe someone there will come up with something.

I'm curious though: what are you experiencing other than these exceptions in the log? Whatever is going on seems to be significant enough to cause some pretty noticeable behavior.

• 2. Re: Socket closed exception
            kennychaffin

Well at least it shows up at the top of the Google list. :)

Anyone Seen This error? It seems to be affecting all our JBoss applications.

KAC

• 3. Re: Socket closed exception

I did post this issue first in the Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT forum thinking it is a configuration issue. I can recreate the exception at a certain transaction rate on windows. Now I am trying on Linux, and so far no socket exceptions.

I'm curious though: what are you experiencing other than these exceptions in the log? Whatever is going on seems to be significant enough to cause some pretty noticeable behavior.

Nothing abnormal appears in the logs before this exception, and the exception crashes the server. I have witnessed this behavior on 4.0.3.sp1 and 4.0.5.GA also.