6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 6:06 PM by ron_sigal

JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Applicati

vybe3142

Can JBoss Remoting be configured to run with Non-JBoss App Servers? I ask because we're evaluating options for a java software package that could potentially sit in a client's network and be able to play nice with whatever J2EE compliant Application Server they might have deployed.

If not I might have to fall back to RMI, but was interested in the performance benefits claimed by JBoss remoting.

I'm fairly new to JBoss Remoting so thanks for bearing with my question.

Thanks

• 1. Re: JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Appli
          vybe3142

Anyone ? - Thanks

• 2. Re: JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Appli
            trustin

Yes, you can. JBoss Remoting is supposed to work even if it runs without an application server. Please refer to the user guide.

• 3. Re: JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Appli
              vybe3142

Thanks
              What I meant though was : can /how can I get jboss demoting functional within an enterprise app deployed on a non jboss app server eg glassfish?

this is because one of our requirements is that the app be deployable on any j2ee app server

• 4. Re: JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Appli
                ron_sigal

"vybe3142" wrote:

can /how can I get jboss demoting functional within an enterprise app deployed on a non jboss app server eg glassfish?

Not sure I understand the question. There are a couple of ways Remoting could live in an application server. Note that I don't know anything about glassfish (except that it's well known to be inherently evil :) ).

1. Remoting could function as an essentially standalone subsystem, where you configure it with your own invocation handler, which is your application code. In JBoss AS, there are configuration files which you can add, or edit, to tell the AS to start up your Remoting app. Since the handler is running in the application server, it can get access to other objects and services running at the same time.

2. In JBoss AS, Remoting is built into the internal fabric of the server. For example, EJB3 invocations are, by default, transported by Remoting. The EJB3 system is built and configured to, for example, create a proxy for an EJB3 that makes Remoting invocations to a Remoting server which is configured with an EJB3 specific invocation handler. Now, the JBoss AS is flexible enough that you could change all of that, but generally, you don't want to do more than maybe make some adjustments on the periphery. The details are independent of your EJB3 application.

Since I'm not sure I understand your question, I'm not sure that I've come close to answering it, but I hope that helps. If not, try again. :)

• 5. Re: JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Appli
                  vybe3142

Okay, .. trying again.

I got caught up with some some other projects for the last month or so, ..... sorry for the delay in responding.

In a nutshell, A requirement of the software app we're developing is that it be packaged into a WAR deployable on any J2EE compliant app server on a client's internal network. So, .. I can't rely on JBoss AS being available (we might be asked to deploy on JBoss , Glassfish, Resin etc etc ... ).

We looking into Remoting as a data transport mechanism between client and server. Right now , we use XML , but this has its disadvantages (speed / bloat) .. hence the interest in JBoss Remoting.

So, basically the question is
                  1. Can JBoss Remoting be used as a client-server data transport mechanism even if the App. server isn't JBoss AS ?
                  2. If so, can someone point me out to a document that details the necessary config. needed? I think this question is partially answered in my other thread.

Thanks

• 6. Re: JBoss remoting - Compatability with non JBoss J2EE Appli
                    ron_sigal

Ok, I think I understand your question a little better. It sounds like you want to run some "stealth" system started up in a servlet but otherwise independent of the Application Server. Is that about right?

I can tell you that you can start up Remoting clients and servers in any context you like, as long as there's a jboss-remoting.jar sitting around. For example, you could configure and start up a Remoting server (technically, create an org.jboss.remoting.transport.Connector) in a servlet and then communicate with it from a client outside the Application Server, as long as the client creates an org.jboss.remoting.Client and connects it to the Connector.

Basically, you would be starting a Remoting client/server system like any other, except the server is running in the context of an Application Server. There are simple examples in the Remoting distribution (go to Downloads on

http://labs.jboss.com/jbossremoting

) and discussion of the examples in the Remoting Guide (

http://labs.jboss.com/jbossremoting/docs/guide/2.5/html/index.html

).

Let me know if you have more questions.