11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2006 6:07 AM by Y C

Hot Deployment using jboss deployer

Brice Robert Newbie

I wanted to use jboss/deployer to add spring functionality but hot deploy does not work.

Why I wanted to use JBoss/Deployer?
      - Because it looked like an official deployer like Hibernate deployer in deploy folder when using JBoss 4.0.2
      - Because just by ending my spring config file name with -spring.xml and putting

<description>BeanFactory=(mySpringBean-pojo)</description>
      tag and packaging it in my jar file all of it using maven2 was wonderful.

Unfortunately it does not work when re-HOT-deploying my ears.

I use 3 approaches:
      - 1) from Rod Harrop ProSpring book hoping it would be portable from JBoss to Geronimo. By using
      org.springframework.ejb.support.AbstractJmsMessageDrivenBean;
      it didn't work. see problem cause below
      - 2) from JBoss/Deployer same thing. I do know that jboss deployer is intended to be used with EJB3 but it still works by calling
      org.jboss.spring.factory.NamedXmlBeanFactory bfl = (org.jboss.spring.factory.NamedXmlBeanFactory)initialContext.lookup("my-spring-pojo");
       dispatchManager = (DispatchManager) bfl.getBean("myDispatchManager");

- 3) Than I gave up and used a simple MBean that loads the spring mbeans as JNDI objects. From an MBean sample we had to modify to use Durable WS MQ Topics.
      http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=UsingWebSphereMQSeriesWithJBossASPartI
      and Hot deploy works. I won't know the impact on the memory yet but I'll try to find out by using MBean console monitors.

Problem Caused by WeakReferenceMonitor.ReleaseListener?
      What I noticed is that the beans are released just before ehcache when using Hibernate from Spring.

11:31:58,365 WARN [Configurator] No configuration found. Configuring ehcache from ehcache-failsafe.xml found in the classpath: null
      11:31:58,365 ERROR [LogInterceptor] TransactionRolledbackLocalException in method: public abstract void javax.jms.Messag
      11:32:00,474 INFO [NamedXmlBeanFactory] Destroying singletons in factory {org.jboss.spring.factory.NamedXmlBeanFactory

By using an in house MBean [than can be ported to a Geronimo GBean ], I resolved my problem but wanted to know if someone has faced the same problem.

• 1. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
          Ales Justin Master

>> Unfortunately it does not work when re-HOT-deploying my ears.

What exactly doesn't work?

I currently use it with my portal app , where we re-deploy stuff all the time.

I can send you a new release, which also supports application context, not just bean factory.

Rgds, Ales

• 2. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
            Brice Robert Newbie

AlesJ,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I forgot to mention that the 3rd simple solution does not destroy singletons.
            That?s why it always works.

By destroying singletons, I have an exception that is hard to track since it is hidden by all the JCA MDB interceptors. It applys to the 3 implementations.

Can I have the latest deployer?
            I am definitely interested with having the latest spring Deployer version since I am focusing on it right now.

Thanks,
            Brice

Exception:

11:47:47,889 ERROR [JMSContainerInvoker] Exception in JMSCI message listener
            javax.ejb.TransactionRolledbackLocalException: Could not instantiate bean; CausedByException is:
            Could not instantiate bean
            at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.AbstractTxInterceptor.invokeNext(AbstractTxInterceptor.java:232)
            at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorCMT.runWithTransactions(TxInterceptorCMT.java:335)
            at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorCMT.invoke(TxInterceptorCMT.java:166)
            at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.RunAsSecurityInterceptor.invoke(RunAsSecurityInterceptor.java:94)
            at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.invoke(LogInterceptor.java:192)

• 3. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
              Ales Justin Master

What exactly are you trying to do with JMS?

I'm using the following stuff with JBossAS and it works really great for me.

@Consumer(activateConfig =
               {
               @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destinationType", propertyValue = "javax.jms.Queue"),
               @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destination", propertyValue = "queue/mdpojo")
               })
              @Interceptors(value = SpringPassivationInterceptor.class)
              public class AsynchManagerImpl implements AsynchManager, Serializable {

@Spring(jndiName = "en-pojo", bean = "searcherCreator")
               private transient SearcherCreator searcherCreator;

@Spring(jndiName = "en-pojo", bean = "fileIndexSource")
               private transient FileIndexer fileIndexer;

private transient Log logger;

protected Log getLog() {
               if (logger == null) {
               logger = LogFactory.getLog(getClass());
               }
               return logger;
               }

public void initializeSearch() {
               synchronized (searcherCreator) {
               if (!searcherCreator.isInitialized()) {
               IndexSource[] indexSources = searcherCreator.getIndexSources();
               Set<File> indexPaths = new TreeSet<File>();
               for(IndexSource is : indexSources) {
               try {
               is.addDocuments(indexPaths);
               } catch(Exception e) {
               getLog().error("Failed to build index source: " + is.getClass().getName());
               }
               }
               searcherCreator.setInitialized(true);
               }
               }
               }
              }

If you give me your email, I can send you my current spring.deployer archive.

Rgds, Ales

• 5. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                Ales Justin Master

Sent.

>> What exactly are you trying to do with JMS?

Debug why this is thrown: Could not instantiate bean

• 6. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                  Brice Robert Newbie

Ales,

Thanks for the jar but it didn't work the MBean couldn't be loaded.

I use JBoss 4.0.2, Spring 1.2.5, Hibernate 3.1, MQ Series is used for JMS can't use betas at a customer site.

Therefore I don't use EJB3 and try to minimize bugs of new features or non mature products. Since it happens to all 3 solutions I still have to investigate.
                  It might be a Spring issue.

Thanks for your help and time

• 7. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                    Brice Robert Newbie

Ales,

For some reasons, your email went to my bulk folder (you might have BCCed somebody). I didn't see your email related to jboss.xml.

the MBean is now loaded and I can get some interesting trace see below.
                    I need some time to investigate now.

Thanks again.

13:57:27,975 WARN [Configurator] No configuration found. Configuring ehcache from ehcache-failsafe.xml found in the cla
                    sspath: null
                    13:57:27,975 INFO [DefaultListableBeanFactory] Destroying singletons in factory {org.springframework.beans.factory.supp
                    ort.DefaultListableBeanFactory defining beans [dispatchDataSource,devTCF,starskyTCF,integTCF,beepTopic,beepJmsTemplate,h
                    ibernateSessionFactory,hibernatePremiumTransactionCustomPersistenceDao,hibernateCustomRulesDao,pojoPremiumTransactionBP,
                    archDispatchManager]; root of BeanFactory hierarchy}
                    13:57:27,975 ERROR [MainDeployer] could not create deployment: file:/C:/opt/bin/jboss/jboss-4.0.2/server/beep/tmp/deploy
                    /tmp59358beep-0.1.ear-contents/beep-mdb-0.1.jar-contents/beep-spring.xml
                    org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Error creating bean with name 'hibernateSessionFactory' defined in URL [file:/
                    C:/opt/bin/jboss/jboss-4.0.2/server/beep/tmp/deploy/tmp59358beep-0.1.ear-contents/beep-mdb-0.1.jar-contents/beep-spring.
                    xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.hibernate.cache.CacheException: net.sf.ehcache.CacheExcepti
                    on: Cannot configure CacheManager: null; - nested throwable: (org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: E
                    rror creating bean with name 'hibernateSessionFactory' defined in URL [file:/C:/opt/bin/jboss/jboss-4.0.2/server/beep/tm
                    p/deploy/tmp59358beep-0.1.ear-contents/beep-mdb-0.1.jar-contents/beep-spring.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested
                     exception is org.hibernate.cache.CacheException: net.sf.ehcache.CacheException: Cannot configure CacheManager: null)
                     at org.jboss.spring.deployment.SpringDeployer.create(SpringDeployer.java:123)
                     at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:918)
                     at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:910)
                     at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:910)
                     at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:774)
                     at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:738)
                     at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor42.invoke(Unknown Source)
                     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

• 8. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                      Brice Robert Newbie

To end this thread, all 3 solutions work:
                      It was a Class Loading issue.

I have kind of knew this but keep forgetting that, not like WebSphere, there is no Parent/Child configuration for Class Loading.

Using Maven2 and putting a Hivernate 3.1 jar in my EAR is not enough, since JBoss 4.0.2 comes with hibernate.deployer folder which has an older Hibernate version by default.

ClassLoader Hierarchy is:
                      1) /server//lib folder
                      2) /server//deploy Deployer folders
                      3) EARs

Parent class loader is considered first and there does not seem to have parent/child class loading delegation.

Thanks for your help
                      Ales: I used the older version of Spring Deployer the new version you sent didn't seem to work. Sorry no time to investigate

• 9. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                        Bill Burke Master

There is Parent/Child configuration for Class Loading.

Search for loader-repository in our documentation.

Scoped classloading with choice of Parent or Child first class lookup.

• 10. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                          Brice Robert Newbie

Bill,

Thanks for your quick answer it was a hot week delivering sleeplessly and I now can go back to hot redeployment issues.

Found this and will definetely let you know the outcome.
                          http://www.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ClassLoadingConfiguration
                          http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossClassLoadingUseCases

Brice

• 11. Re: Hot Deployment using jboss deployer
                            Y C Newbie

Hi brobertarch,
                            Did you resolve your last problem (ie Cannot configure CacheManager : null)
                            I have the same problem in a ear.
                            Thanks
                            JJR24