Ah... Thanks... Voted...
any idea when we can expect this to be addressed?
I am having a similar problem with the whole xhtml reloading.
In my case I have a detail screen with 2 tabs. On each tab there is a rich:dataTable, which is sortable. The sorting works fine when I am on the default tab. However, when I go to the second tab and try to sort, the entire xhtml gets reloaded and the first tab is displayed.
Currently I build my tabitems from java-code dynamicly. When the tabItemChange event fires I cleanUp the old tabitem and built the new tabitem. I put the switchType to "ajax" for the tabpanel
This works fine but now I want only the new tabitems to be inialized. When a tabitem is visited I put the switchType of that tabitem to "client". From that moment I get the same problems you describe.