8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2008 11:29 AM by kukeltje

javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method of c

forjbpm

When I click on *save* to save my process I get following exception.

javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method of component with id taskform:_id9
       at org.apache.myfaces.application.ActionListenerImpl.processAction(ActionListenerImpl.java:74)
       at javax.faces.component.UICommand.broadcast(UICommand.java:106)
       at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot._broadcastForPhase(UIViewRoot.java:90)
       at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processApplication(UIViewRoot.java:164)
       at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.invokeApplication(LifecycleImpl.java:271)
       at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:86)
       at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:94)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
       at org.jbpm.webapp.filter.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:25)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
       at org.jbpm.webapp.filter.PersistenceFilter.doFilter(PersistenceFilter.java:28)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
       at org.jbpm.webapp.filter.ContextFilter.doFilter(ContextFilter.java:19)
       at org.jbpm.webapp.filter.LogFilter.doFilter(LogFilter.java:38)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:39)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:159)
       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:59)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
       at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
       at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856)
       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
      Caused by: javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: Exception while invoking expression #{taskBean.save}
       at org.apache.myfaces.el.MethodBindingImpl.invoke(MethodBindingImpl.java:153)
       at org.apache.myfaces.application.ActionListenerImpl.processAction(ActionListenerImpl.java:63)
       ... 37 more
      Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
       at org.jbpm.webapp.bean.TaskBean.save(TaskBean.java:86)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
       at org.apache.myfaces.el.MethodBindingImpl.invoke(MethodBindingImpl.java:129)
       ... 38 more

Am I missing something in this case?
      May be I need to build my class path to point it to something??

Please Help!
      Looks like I am only landing in to problems somehow

• 1. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
          kukeltje

do you have required fields that are not filled in?

• 2. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
            forjbpm

Thanks Ronald!(???)
            That was the catch. I just defined a controleer variable in my task and it works fine now (but still ProcessInstance.signal() dosent advance to next step though).
            Is it absolutely essential to have a controller variable for a given task??? or was it because my earlier versions of Workflow had that defined and later I removed it thats why it was still expecting those variables?

Again, Thanks a lot!

• 3. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
              forjbpm

Hi!

Can anyone please tell me
              Why defining a controller variable is absolutely necessary for a given task?????
              or it is not?

• 4. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
                kukeltje

why would it otherwise be a task? If there is no variable to act upon, you'd just have a page with one or more transitions. Is that what you require? If so, file a Jira issue that task cannot be performed upon if there is no variable.

• 5. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
                  forjbpm

My plan was to to use the jbpm web interface as a debugger interface. But I will have another php or jsp page as my user interface where I can display all my variables. In that case you dont need controller variables as such. (??)
                  Can I acces jbpm engine using anyother language than java (may be using something like REST interface?)

Please suggest!

• 6. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
                    kukeltje

jbpm has two things. a webinterface and a java api. If you want to access it any other way, you'd have to implement that interface yourself.

• 7. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
                      korango

Hello fellow developers,

I have also bumped onto the same problem when developing an application. Although I am using JSF and JBoss Application Server. The details of the exception I am getting is:

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error calling action method of component with id registerForm:registerUser
                      javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:152)
                      org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)

root cause

javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method of component with id registerForm:registerUser
                      org.apache.myfaces.application.ActionListenerImpl.processAction(ActionListenerImpl.java:74)
                      javax.faces.component.UICommand.broadcast(UICommand.java:106)
                      javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot._broadcastForPhase(UIViewRoot.java:94)
                      javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processApplication(UIViewRoot.java:168)
                      org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.invokeApplication(LifecycleImpl.java:343)
                      org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:86)
                      javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:137)
                      org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.20 logs.

I suspect this might be the wrong post, but snce I thought they are similar problems and someone seems to have solved it, I felt it appropriate to post it here. Apologies for any of mixups that may arise.

I lok forward to your advice and reply.

Kind Regards,
                      Caesar Olima

• 8. Re: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method
                        kukeltje

it's similar in a way that it is jsf related. The error is in on a different action, probably in a different version of the console. Besides that there is way to little info to see what is going on. There should be more info in the error log of the server (this seems to come from a screendump). Otherwise it is impossible for us to help