1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 23, 2005 1:49 PM by koen.aers

Polling Workflow

armorris007

I have a need to implement a workflow for an application which checks a database value periodically and then invokes a relevant workflow to handle the state.

I can think of a couple of obvious ways of doing this:

1. Have a dedicated Thread which polls and determines when to fire a specific workflow.

2. Integrate this polling mechanism into the workflow design using a timer which is fired periodically. This would in turn execute an ActionHandler which would perform the database state check.

The main drawback with option 1 is that it isn't a unified approach to handling this types of workflow. If I need a new polling mechanism in the future, I will have to write a dedicated class.

Option 2 is promising, however, how dangerous is it to implement a polling mechanism in a workflow which effectively never ends?

All comments gratefully received,

Andy

• 1. Re: Polling Workflow
          koen.aers

From the description you give I would go for a mechanism based on a real scheduler such as Quartz. Your second option is not very robust as it depends on a thread that is launched from the default jBPM webapp. Or you would have to implement a scheduling mechanism based on the timer service available in your favorite application server.

Regards,
          Koen