3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2006 10:58 AM by kukeltje

Start Node with node-enter Action

lfaggioli

Hi all!

I'm writing a simple process where, when the user starts a new process instance, I want the first form to have some pre-filled information in it.

In order to do that I thought of using a node-enter Action in the Start Node, but, for some reason, the action never gets called.
      Instead, everything looks working if the node-enter action is placed in a Task Node.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
      Luca

P.S.: I'm using jBPM3.1 with its webapp as frontend

• 1. Re: Start Node with node-enter Action
          saviola

Hi, Luca!
          The thing you are missing is that a start-node doesn't have a node-enter event.
          Think about it - you don't enter a start-node, you just leave it. The same is valid for an end-node - you never leave an end-node, tha't why it is called end-node.

Reagrds,
          Saviola

• 2. Re: Start Node with node-enter Action
            lfaggioli

Hi Saviola,
            thanks for the reply!

Two things then:
            1. I guess the eclipse plug-in has to be fixed: right now it allows you to define a node-enter action for a start node.
            2. What you say makes sense, but I still do not understand why a start-node, which contains a task like any task node, cannot have an action which does some chores on the variable before the webform is presented to the user.

I think this situation is quite common in BPM: e.g., having the "start date" automatically pre-filled, or a unique process instance ID automatically generated and shown in the first form, and so on... am I wrong?

How am I suppose to pre-fill the variables? Any idea?

Bye
            Luca

• 3. Re: Start Node with node-enter Action
              kukeltje

1: work has been done on this, but it was to complex to maintain in the xsd. It could be that it is in the ide itself to, then I agree that it should be fixed

2: I am thinking of extending the 'start process' method to pass it a map of variables so that it can be passed on when the process starts.

Ronald