I've just started working with coding some jBPM stuff, and I noticed a problem. I used the GPD plug-in (v.3.0.9) to create my process. Then I copied and pasted the XML to my JUnit class as the process definition. I wasn't getting the correct mapped name in my debug statements, and while reading Section 11.5 in the user guide, I noticed that the mapped-name variable attribute was different than what I got from GPD. GPD produces mappedName instead of mapped-name, and that's why I was not getting the correct values in my debugging. I changed the XML to mapped-name and it started working. This is a really big problem...unless I'm lame of course and did something wrong. All variables and mapped names were created from the graphical dialog while editing a task in GPD (i.e. no manual XML editing).
Darn, this is a bug I thought I corrected long ago... But apparently I reintroduced it or I never committed the fix. I will correct it again and it will be included in the upcoming 18.104.22.168 release...
Thanks for hunting this down for us.